Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread Help!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-help-t224079.html)

Pollytink 06-19-2013 03:24 PM

Thread Help!!!

Connecting Threads finally put thread on sale today! I want to get some but have never seen their spools. The ones pictured, the 1200 yd spools, are the holes the same size as e.g. C&C spools? I'm worried the holes might be too big for my machines' spool pins.

MartiMorga 06-19-2013 03:28 PM

They look okay to me, I was just about to order some myself. Of course my Baby Locks have round discs that go over the spool end. For the cone type I have an insert that works great.

Misty's Mom 06-19-2013 03:40 PM

I use them on my janome and they work fine.

snipforfun 06-19-2013 03:46 PM

They are the same as Star thread with CT name on them. Linty!!!

BellaBoo 06-19-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun (Post 6132098)
They are the same as Star thread with CT name on them. Linty!!!

Are you sure about this? I read a blog that said the thread was manufactured in Mexico to CT specs. Anyone know?

susie-susie-susie 06-19-2013 05:36 PM

I just posted this information a few minutes ago. Hope the moderators delete it. I like their thread, and don't think it is any more linty than other cotton thread. It certainly goes a long way!! The colors are great. I am one satisfied customer.
Sue

snipforfun 06-19-2013 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6132205)
Are you sure about this? I read a blog that said the thread was manufactured in Mexico to CT specs. Anyone know?

Hard to imagine that a thread would be made for only one store! I am guessing the label is made to their specs. I cant tell the difference between CT "spools" and Star. That's not a bad thing. There are many products in all areas of commerce that are made identically with just different labels. Thats not a bad thing either. I just happen to not like Star thread and what it does to machines. I would like to try CT poly cones and their cotton cones but not the spools. I have a friend that repairs machines and he said the 2 main causes for repair are lint and from people pulling their thread out of the machine towards the left instead of to the right through the needle. He has drilled me into behaving!!

pocoellie 06-19-2013 06:33 PM

I have to agree with susie-susie-susie, I've used plenty of CT Essentials thread, and have never had a problem. I don't think they're any lintier than the regular cotton thread you buy in JoAnn's, etc., and you certainly can't beat the price.

BellaBoo 06-20-2013 08:05 AM

There are many brands of thread that are made just for that brand. Superior, Aurifil, YLI, Mettler, Guttermann, Robin Anston, Coats and Clark. Superior doesn't stick their label on Aurifil thread.
I have Star thread and it is different from CT thread so that is why I was wondering how you thought it was the same thread. I look at all thread brands I have under a microscope so I can tell the difference. I was surprised the slubs and thin spots in some of name brand thread.

snipforfun 06-20-2013 12:36 PM

The thread companies that were mentioned are huge companies. CT is a small operation in comparison and they are not a manufacturer. They are a .com business. They sell thread, not manufacture it. I like CT poly thread, just not the spools. I find that the thread on the spools take up way too much room in the seams. I was told by the owner of one of the major thread companies that the spools are the same as Star. Like I said, its not a bad thing, just not the quality I want.