Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread Problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-problems-t198400.html)

Quilt Girl 08-22-2012 05:55 PM

Thread Problems

I have a Viking Topaz 20 machine and it does not like Essential Cotton Thread that Connecting Threads carries...the machine will jam and mess up every time. If I use Sulky Thread in the machine it is fine. I tried to have the machine use the cotton thread today only with problems and more problems and then did not change anything except the thread and it sewed fine. Any one else have a sewing machine that only prefers a certain type of thread ?

donnalynett 08-22-2012 06:02 PM

My Viking Sapphire 855 doesn't like anything except the Essential cotton thread from Connecting Threads!

auntpiggylpn 08-22-2012 06:59 PM

There are a lot of members who have finicky machines! Fortunately, my Janome takes anything I give her!!!

I see you are from Grand Rapids; going to the APQS show this week?

hopetoquilt 08-23-2012 03:13 AM

Sell your thread and be rid of the headache. Lots of machines are finicky. Once you find what your machine likes... Stick with it.

jcrow 08-23-2012 05:02 AM

Oh my goodness. It took my two years to figure out what was wrong with my new Bernina. It acted horrible. I finally bought a CONE of Gutermann thread and it purred. Now, I don't know if it's the cone or if it's the cone of Gutermann, but I bought a cone of another high quality brand but am kind of chicken to try it yet. My machine is doing so well, I don't want to have any more problems again. And to think for two years it was the thread. So, yes, thread can make all the difference in the world.

BellaBoo 08-23-2012 06:55 AM

The CT cotton thread is 50wt 3 ply. You need a size 90/14 needle or bigger for the thickness. If you aren't changing the tension when you change thread then that says a lot. Other brand of thread is probably a different weight, different cotton, so it sews with the size needle you have and the tension setting you have. Every once in awhile I'll get a spool of thread that just won't sew even if I had no problems before with it. CT will replace their spools so call them.

Valerie Ann 08-23-2012 08:51 AM

My Bernina only likes Aurifil.

Deborahlees 08-23-2012 09:02 AM

May I suggest you check if they are both the same weight....30 or 40.....
Perhaps try some thread from Superior Thread, you can order on line....
I am currently using their 50 weight and my machine (Brother & Bernina) loves it..

romanojg 08-26-2012 11:06 AM

My Ruby uses everything; including Essential Threads. Are you using the same thread in the bobbin and are checking to make sure it's threaded right in top and bottom and you might need to check your needle. Maybe sulky doesn't have a problem with needle but the other thread does. I'm just throwing things out there. I normally use Aurifil but since getting the Ruby I've been using all kinds of embroidery thread, the essential threads and coats and clark and even serger cone thread and haven't had a problem. You can even try putting the spool in a cup behind the machine; some times that also helps. Good luck with it.

romanojg 08-26-2012 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5461348)
Oh my goodness. It took my two years to figure out what was wrong with my new Bernina. It acted horrible. I finally bought a CONE of Gutermann thread and it purred. Now, I don't know if it's the cone or if it's the cone of Gutermann, but I bought a cone of another high quality brand but am kind of chicken to try it yet. My machine is doing so well, I don't want to have any more problems again. And to think for two years it was the thread. So, yes, thread can make all the difference in the world.

When I was using cone thread I had a problem but then changed the needle to a 90/14 and it was fine after that. Thread does make a difference but sometimes its as simple as changing the needle to fix. I'm lucky to have a Viking because it adjust the tension itself so other than the cone I've never had an issue,and since it was an easy fix I don't have any issues.