Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-question-t207955.html)

vanginney 12-08-2012 05:00 PM

Thread question

Has anyone ever used 100% rayon sulky thread on an all cotton quilt. It is a table runner for Xmas and I bought the thread because it has a nice sheen. But didn't realize until I was home it was rayon. I have only ever used cotton. Advise is greatly appreciated.

Tartan 12-08-2012 05:09 PM

I have used rayon thread on a wallhanging to machine quilt it. It was just soooo purdy! I wouldn't use it on a regular bed quilt because it does fray and would probably pop with heavy use. It should be fine for a table runner. Maybe a thread expert will chime in with expert advice.

Tink's Mom 12-08-2012 05:13 PM

The rayon will be fine for a table runner. It may loose some of it's sheen with repeated washing...I would recommend the poly embroidery thread for something that will be washed often.

quilttiger 12-08-2012 05:46 PM

Rayon, while it is suitable for embroidery, does not hold up well when it comes to machine quilting a project. The thread is more likely to break. How about using tribolal polyester thread; it has a nice sheen and is strong enough for machine quilting.

Mdaniels 12-08-2012 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiger (Post 5706985)
Rayon, while it is suitable for embroidery, does not hold up well when it comes to machine quilting a project. The thread is more likely to break. How about using tribolal polyester thread; it has a nice sheen and is strong enough for machine quilting.

i just found this out, using some beautiful Sulky on a machine quilt project. Snapped three times, even after reducing the tension. Had to go back to cotton.

LAQUITA 12-08-2012 07:08 PM

I was told that Sulky is mostly used for embroidey machines, and not your typical sewing or quilting.

patchsamkim 12-08-2012 07:17 PM

The rayon is great for applique, but for quilting, you may want to go with a cotton thread. You could try it to see if it works, but if you have any problems, make the switch. Also, if you want the rayon for the top, I would still use cotton thread in the bobbin.

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-08-2012 08:31 PM

Sulky Rayon is fine, super strong, I have used it LOTS and lots! It's fine on your bed quilts AND your runner. ;) The runner is a great place for you to experiment though, you might decide you don't like the way it wears. I believe they used to say avoid Rayon because it wasn't colorfast...but that's not really true these days. I say, you're fine. If you love it, use it. ;)

Edited to add - if you have problem with it breaking it doesn't have anything to do with the cotton, it's likely the needle. Use a nice fresh needle, I use 70/10 microtex sharps for Rayon thread, and usually a lower tension.

Krisb 12-08-2012 08:40 PM

Just finished machine quilting a 56" square wall hanging using Sulky rayon. The thread broke exactly once, so I changed the needle. Never broke again.

Mdaniels 12-09-2012 02:11 AM

Thanks for the needle advice, I wondered about that.