Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Of thread and rotary blades.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-rotary-blades-t209426.html)

irishrose 12-27-2012 07:58 PM

C & C has changed. It is now poly covered poly. It still works for me, but I like the feel of the thread on older spools better. I like Guterman poly - I haven't tried the cotton. Connecting Threads thread is very linty, IMO, but strong enough for my uses.

I bought Olfa blades on ebay for a great price last year.

Peckish 12-27-2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5744443)
Why do you say to stay away from Coats & Clark?

Very linty.

My personal preference? Bottom Line by Superior. I've used C&C, Gutermann, Connecting Threads "Essentials", but by far my favorite is Bottom Line. I buy it by the cone.

LoupEsprit 12-27-2012 08:24 PM

OK, so I have another question: Thread spool size!

I've just used the 'normal' spools on my machine. Can I use the larger ones, like from Connecting Threads? I'm assuming if I use the cones I'll either have to use the upright spool holder on my machine, or switch to using a stand or other non-machine method for feeding the thread to the machine, correct?

Deb watkins 12-27-2012 08:27 PM

"Connecting Thread is great for quality/price." I just ordered 4 cones of the polyester from the thread sale. It came very quickly. I ordered polyester, but it seems to actually be the cotton???? I have some other polyester that has more shine to it. I usually use the Robison Anton rayon thread and wanted to give CT thread a try. I love the fabric from CT!

Maggiemay 12-27-2012 08:27 PM

I've had great luck with the Harbor Freight rotary blades. The Connecting Threads cotton thread I find quite linty- seems like I'm in the minority there. My favorite all purpose thread is Signature & I order it by the cone from http://www.wawak.com/

AshleyR 12-28-2012 03:34 AM

I'm way in the minority here... I only FMQ and 9 times out of 10, I use thread cones for a serging machine. I haven't been quilting very long (a year?) and I can't afford quilting thread. I love the way the thinner thread looks. When the cotton quilt is washed, it puffs up so nice around the poly thread!!!
I'll look at all the thread a store has to offer, and I think the 100% cotton just looks dull. And it's so much more expensive, I just can't justify it. So I mosy over to the Maxi-Lock display and pick up some lovely colors for $1-2 each.
I have some cotton thread that I got very cheap at a thrift store and I just don't like it as well. It's ok for big swoopy "gotta get this done" quilts, but for one I'm taking my time on and really putting a lot of thread in, I'm picking one of my cones!! Less bobbin changes, too.

I probably wouldn't use it on seams, though. Just quilting.

You don't have to buy a stand for a cone. You can use a jar and put the cone in the jar. I put a big safety pin on my spool holder of my machine and threaded the cone thread thru the little hole at the bottom of the pin.

purplemem 12-28-2012 03:45 AM

jhittle has rotary blades, 45mm, 10 for $18.00. I buy from them regularly. I like Connecting Threads for my thread, but it is linty.

mommessy 12-28-2012 03:55 AM

Harbor Freight blades have not been very good for me. They don't last long and skip quite a bit. I would stay away from them. I buy good ones now from JoAnne's with my half off coupons.

deedum 12-28-2012 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5744435)
A lot of us have purchased rotary blades from Harbor Freight. They're meant for carpet cutting but fit the major rotary cutters. I've been happy with mine, but some people have had problems. (Harbor Freight reportedly will replace or refund if you're not happy.) If money is tight, you might try their blades - much, MUCH cheaper than anywhere else. I have heard more bad reports than good ones on rotary cutter sharpeners. Usually when my blades go bad it's because I ran over something I shouldn't have and caused a nick in the blade. Sharpeners don't help with that.

Agree. That is where I buy my blades. Super cheap and I don't think I have ever had more than one bad blade in the whole bunch.

Stitchnripper 12-28-2012 04:21 AM

I have had good luck with Harbor Freight blades and have used Coats and Clark with no problems.