Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which thread should I get? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-should-i-get-t296687.html)

QuiltE 05-04-2018 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry (Post 8052112)
Do people piece with poly? My understanding was that poly embroidery thread is to thin or fragile for quilting and that I should get some standard 50 wt . Cotton.

maybe I should offer up my winnings for sale or trade on this board, it’s a nice box of Robison-Anton poly. I just don’t need more poly.

Yes, many people piece with polyester. Totally personal preference and nothing wrong with using it.

For FMQing or straight line quilting ... cotton, polyester or rayon can all work.
You can even combine the two.

No matter what you are using, it may take some setting adjustments to get all working together.
Not a bit deal ... and a way to get to know your machine better.

I just finished a quilt with the Hemingsworth on top .... and Aurifil on the bottom.
It just took a slight tension adjustment to get it stitching right.
But I do that, even if I am using the same thread top/bottom.

sash 05-04-2018 06:58 AM

RA thread is great thread; use it all the time for either embroidery or piecing. I do like Aurifil thread, but it's more expensive than RA thread. I'd keep it.

Onebyone 05-04-2018 07:18 AM

I don't use rayon, nylon or serger thread because they break or stretch. Other then that I use all kinds of threads when piecing or fmq. Most LAs I know uses poly thread made for quilting. I use poly when I fmq. I have Aurifil and MSQC thread. I like both the same for piecing.

newbee3 05-04-2018 07:48 AM

do not use rayon embroidery thread for quilting

PamelaOry 05-04-2018 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8052029)
Not saying you should not do what you are thinking, but .....
Did you realize that you can use machine embroidery thread for quilting?

I have used the Hemingworth brand on several quilts, for both FMQing and straight line quilting.
No problems!
It gives a nice glisten from the shine of the thread.
The fineness of the thread makes any mistakes less visible (that I choose not to correct).

Just a thought ...........

I love Hemingworth! I have a cabinet full of it.

QuiltE 05-04-2018 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry (Post 8052245)

I don't do machine embroidery work, but my sewing machine dealer introduced me to it one time when I was searching for thread for DSM FMQing. Since then, I have become a fan of it and have quite a collection!

So join me ... and see how nice it is for quilting too.

Rhonda K 05-04-2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry (Post 8052245)

Do you have the thread cabinet too? I'm drooling over it; so organized and pretty with all the threads!

PamelaOry 05-04-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8052316)
Do you have the thread cabinet too? I'm drooling over it; so organized and pretty with all the threads!

Yes, I got it a while back when they were on sale. I love it!

Lafpeaches 05-04-2018 01:49 PM

I use Isacord for quilting. It’s polyester.

maminstl 05-04-2018 03:12 PM

I also love Isacord for quilting, but don't hesitate to use it for anything if the color matches. I've also used the Robinson - if you like having a selection of colors I would keep it, if not I would go for the Aurifil. I also do a lot of garment sewing and use the poly embroidery thread all the time.