Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   thread for Sweet Sixteen (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-sweet-sixteen-t206884.html)

Puttergeo 11-25-2012 06:12 AM

thread for Sweet Sixteen

I just got a Sweet Sixteen and am wondering what kind of thread I should purchase. I'd like to take advantage of the sales but don't want to stock up on something that won't end up working.
Thanks so much!

Joset 11-25-2012 06:45 AM

my machine only uses superior thread # 50. but i just have a 1600p on gracie frame
but the thread sure works nice on it.

luvstoquilt301 11-25-2012 07:11 AM

HQ machines are not really fussy about thread. I was gifted a whole bunch of serger thread and it works just fine. A nationally know quilter uses it all the time.

soccertxi 11-26-2012 07:37 AM

I had a HQ16 and it was not fussy about thread. My favorites are Permacore, Omni and King Tut. I would suggest try a cone in a neutral color in each and see what you like best. My to go colors are Mother Goose (in Permacore, tan color) and Spearmint (Omni, nice soft green).

aborning 12-02-2012 12:10 PM

My friend has a HQ Avante and she said it is not fussy About what brand of thread she uses.

CanoePam 12-02-2012 02:59 PM

I have used aurifill 40 and 50 weight, YLI variegated, isacord, king tut, yenmet metallics, guterman, and others I don't remember! As others have said, the S16 is not picky about thread. You do have to get used to adjusting the tension, but you should pick threads you like that go with the designs you use. The S16 can pretty much take them all; it is just a matter of you getting comfortable with the tension (both bobbin and top).

Pam

ckcowl 12-02-2012 04:40 PM

i have an HQ machine & love the connecting threads machine quilting threads.
it is a good idea---instead of (stocking up) buying one or two of a particular thread & try it yourself- everyone is different & has their own likes/dislikes- and machines have their own (personalities too) find what works for you- then buy more- connecting threads has free shipping at $50 so i usually buy sewing threads & other things too-to take advantage of that if i only need one or two machine quilting cones.

sewingladydi 12-02-2012 05:47 PM

I've heard many good things about Glide thread and it is much cheaper than Superior, but I haven't had a chance to order any yet.

I love auriful for piecing, but it's quite pricey.

SewingLadyDI

patski 12-02-2012 05:53 PM

I used to us King Tut and superior but my friend told me about mentroemb.com. I quilted 3 quilts with my sweet 16 (each lap size) & had n thread breakage or other problems. PLUS this thread is really low cost!

madamepurl 12-02-2012 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Puttergeo (Post 5678231)
I just got a Sweet Sixteen and am wondering what kind of thread I should purchase. I'd like to take advantage of the sales but don't want to stock up on something that won't end up working.
Thanks so much!

I've just got one too! I've been using all the thread they sent and have had no problems setting the tension, which I'm finding amazing. It depends on what you like. I really like the So Fine #50 for feathers and lots of back tracking. I also like their - Superior's - King Tut. They sent some Quilter's Choice which also seems to work well. I also like the Connecting Threads Essential Pro - which is like 60 weight and very fine. I'm leaning towards finer threads that more melt into the back ground right now. Also don't know if you saw it, but they did a webinar back in February called TNT - Thread, Needles, Tension - that was very helpful.