Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-t100041.html)

MamaYitu 02-16-2011 11:19 AM

Funny you bring up thread! I had a bad experience with a brand new spool of thread that I wanted to do fancy stitches on one of my table runners. I went to fill the bobbin and alas, the thread was not continuous. It was cut several times. So I will not be buying thread made in Mexico. I can't even remember where I bought it, but I will be checking to make sure where it is made.

keesha_ont 02-16-2011 04:15 PM

I have the Pfaff Grand Quilter and the only thread that doesn't break when quilting on the frame is Coates - tried all the others and they kept breaking - use the same in my bobbin and have no problems what so ever.

jmaurath 02-16-2011 04:56 PM

Isacord and Mettler here. No Coats and Clark Here....too much lint!!!! for machine quilting.

jmaurath 02-16-2011 04:57 PM

Isacord and Mettler here. No Coats and Clark Here....too much lint!!!! for machine quilting.

grumpy90650 02-16-2011 06:48 PM

it just amazes me that there are so many different kinds of threads out there.....wow!!!

lollygagging 02-16-2011 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill

Originally Posted by Shunem
I understand from the woman at the LQS that Coats and Clark has changed the way they are making their thread---I agree because I bought a spool recently and it's AWFUL! It's wiry, stiff, and linty. LQS refused to carry any more.

My stepmother (a professional quilter and instructor) told me the worst thing I could do for my Pfaff was using Coats and Clark in it. So now I piece and sew with either Gutermann's or Metrosene.

Glad to know it isn't just me! Unfortunately, unless I can match the color closely with Gutermann's, I will need to finish and just battle it out. I will go to Joann's today (if DH will drive me!) and see if I can find a close color. I REALLY hate it!! I actually have several spools of CC's hand-quilting thread I bought (50% off at Joann's) and now will never use them. What a waste! I wonder if they will take them back???

I believe, as long as you still have the receipt, Joann's will take anything unused back. Not sure if they will give you a refund or a credit, though.
:?:

judytudy 02-21-2011 03:52 PM

I am amazed at how many quilt shops push Coats and Clark. I found knots in it! It used to be a good thread, but then that was years ago.
I heard the owner of Superior Threads speak and his thread makes sense to me but it it difficult to find in quilt stores.

Alice Woodhull 02-21-2011 04:17 PM

Iguess I am one of the lucky ones, as I've never had knots, etc. or any trouble with Coats & Clarks thread. It does what I want it to do. One of the premiere quilters I know who has won prizes at Paducah and Bloomington uses it for all her quilting. She uses it on her home machine, not a quilting machine, I think a Bernina, and says it works better than any other for her.