Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which thread??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-t191205.html)

ShabbyTabby 06-08-2012 01:33 PM

Which thread???

I'm sure this has been answered several times, but I would really like the advice from some of you fablous ladies.
Which thread do you prefer to do your pieceing with? And what size needle do you prefer?

Thanks in advance for your input!!

patricej 06-08-2012 01:40 PM

i use Connecting Threads most of the time. it performs well for both piecing and quilting.

i needed a specific purple i could only get from the Aurifil collection. it's quite expensive, but it performs very well so i think it's a good value for those who can afford it. i certainly don't regret buying it for the special project it's going into.

i use the smallest needle i can get away with. i can usually use a 70/10 for piecing. i think 75/11 is the size most commonly used for piecing but you might find that to not be the case as others add their comments here.

ckcowl 06-08-2012 01:44 PM

your needle size is dependant on the weight of the thread you are using- you need to use the correct size needle for the thread to keep from having stitch problems-breaking thread- ect.
if i am machine piecing i generally use a 40 or 50 weight thread
if i am hand piecing i tend to use 100 wt silk thread...sometimes a 60 weight something else.
i use 'sharps' most often for type of needle- in the size needed for the thread i'm using.
i purchase alot of my thread from connecting threads- some from Superior Threads-

Scissor Queen 06-08-2012 01:52 PM

Aurifil or Prescencia and a Schmetz quilting 75/11 is what I use for piecing.

LynnVT 06-08-2012 01:57 PM

I've just gotten my first spool of Aurifil at suggestion of this board and the owner of a quiltshop I recently visited. Glad to hear about the size 11 needles. I must admit I really didn't pay much attention to size, and mostly use 14s. Will look for the smaller ones next time I can.

ShabbyTabby 06-08-2012 01:58 PM

Thank you all for helping me out.. I knew I could count on you all!!

BellaBoo 06-08-2012 03:36 PM

I never use size 90/14 needles for piecing. I like very thin thread so 50 2 ply is the thickest thread I use. I use topstitch titanium size 70/10 and 80/12 needles for all my piecing. Right now I'm using Aurifil 50 2 ply cotton thread because I found a great sale and bought a box of 24 spools. I use Superior Organ brand needles except in my vintage Singers. I use Singer needles for those.

jeemmerling621 06-08-2012 04:20 PM

I use Superior Threads and Connecting Threads for piecing and quilting. I use a Schmetz quilting needle...size 11, I think.

Neesie 06-08-2012 04:36 PM

I have to hang my head in shame . . . and admit I'll use whatever is handy. I have Mettler, a bit of Gutermann (came with machine), and a lot of Coats & Clark. My machines don't seem to care what I use, thank goodness. As for needles, it's usually a 14, for quilts. If I'm sewing clothing, I'm just as likely to use a size 11 (or 9, if the fabric is thinner).

sewgull 06-08-2012 06:01 PM

I am with you. I like Coats and Clark. I never have had any problem this their thread. When embroidery is have used
Sulky, Mettler, Gutterman, and several other. I have one color of Robinson-anton that gives be problems every time I have tried to used it. Tossed that spool. Other colors no problems.