Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-t244809.html)

MamaHen 04-09-2014 05:43 AM

Looks like I'm the odd one on this subject. I use Connecting Threads 100% cotton (large cones) for piecing, mostly grey, and then I use Superior's Bottom Line in the bobbin. Usually a cream or grey. I'm mixing a 50 wt & 60 wt thread and it helps make for perfect 1/4" seams. On my longarm I just love Glide Thread, but I'm sure it would work just as well for piecing.

soccertxi 04-09-2014 05:45 AM

For machine piecing, I use a big cone of Masterpiece light grey. I use mostly Mettler silk finish for other machine sewing. Threads of choice for my Innova are Omni, Permacore and Glide. If I want to try something new, I buy one cone. If I REALLY like it and use it alot, I will keep two on hand: one for the machine and one to wind bobbins. I hate to have to take the cone off the machine to wind a bobbin! I love Love LOVE silk for hand applique. The thread just melts into the background.

Onebyone 04-09-2014 06:43 AM

I piece with good quality thin thread, the brand doesn't matter that much to me. I like 70wt to 50 wt 2ply. I use prewound Superior bobbins for piecing. For machine quilting I use Glide thread and Glide Delight bobbins. I received a gift set of Genziana Cotton Mako (same as Aurifil) and it's great.

Quiltbeagle 04-10-2014 04:56 AM

I use Aurifil 50wt for piecing and King Tut for machine quilting.

Skratchie 04-10-2014 05:46 AM

Back before I sold the Brother 2500D, I used C&C cotton machine quilting thread for all my piecing. It's what I started with, and I really didn't know much about different brands of thread. It was readily available and not terribly expensive, particularly when I bought it on sale at Joann's. But when I bought the 8900, it didn't really seem to like C&C so much - I had thread breakage, TONS of lint, and the stitching looked terrible. I started experimenting with various threads, and have pretty much landed on Aurifill 50wt. It doesn't break, there's less lint, and it looks nice.

Now that I have the Brother DreamCreator, I'm using the C&C I had before that I couldn't use in the Janome. No thread breakage, not a lot of lint, and it looks fine. :shock: Machines are weird.

Go figure.

FroggyinTexas 04-10-2014 05:51 AM

I'm a plain od Coats and Clarks woman. There is a huge variety of colors, the price is right and it is available everywhere. Our guild is having a program on threads and needles soon and I'm looking forward to hearing what she has to say. But I will still be using Coats and Clark. froggyintexas

Terri D. 04-10-2014 07:41 AM

All thread used in my quilts is 100% cotton because of the damage polyester thread can do to the cotton fibers of a quilt over time.

For piecing: 60-weight, 3-ply, Presencia
For machine quilting: 50-weight, 3-ply, Presencia, 40-weight King Tut, 30-weight Sulky

I use neutrals, solids and variegateds, depending on the look I'm after. Be sure to use a needle correctly sized to the weight of thread you're using so things run smoothly.

luvrazz 04-10-2014 08:14 AM

Aurifil for sure... I buy it online from Shoppers Rule.

wraez 04-10-2014 10:03 AM

Almost all my piecing is done with Connecting Threads, using Superior Bottom Line threads for the bobbin. About a week ago I got LOTS of threads from ThreadArt.com because of a posting here on the board, there was a sale and I got lots of poly, cotton and rayon threads, alot of them will be used to decorative stitcing / thread painting on fabric postcards. Tho I do have Gutermann, Sulky and others.

wraez 04-10-2014 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by MamaHen (Post 6667122)
Looks like I'm the odd one on this subject. I use Connecting Threads 100% cotton (large cones) for piecing, mostly grey, and then I use Superior's Bottom Line in the bobbin. Usually a cream or grey. I'm mixing a 50 wt & 60 wt thread and it helps make for perfect 1/4" seams. On my longarm I just love Glide Thread, but I'm sure it would work just as well for piecing.

You are not the odd one, I also use CT and Bottom Line, but I use lots of light yellow and light green Bottom Line cuz it blends and disappears in so many of the projects that I do. I have big cones of CT in beiges, creams, and grey for piecing.