Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-t308276.html)

Julienm1 11-26-2019 03:42 AM

Thread

Was at a dealership shopping for new machine for piecing. Saw several brands of thread never knew were available. Is there a thread for piecing and DSM quilting? Threads they have available are Floriani, Mettler, Aurifil, Quilters Select, and Innova.

feline fanatic 11-26-2019 06:34 AM

No there is no best thread. There are lots of different types of threads for lots of different purposes and also preferences.

For piecing: I prefer Superior Bottom line in the bobbin and Aurifil in the top. I only use two neutral colors for piecing, a light and a dark.

For quilting I use many threads. It all depends what look I want. In any single quilt I may use up to 4 or 5 different threads. Like a monofiliment for ditch work, a super fine 100 wt for dense fills or areas where I only want texture and don't want the thread to show, a metallic or holographic for a bit of sparkle and bling, and a 40 wt trilobal polyester for general quilting and in the bobbin I have a 60 wt poly for all these different threads.

I love having all these choices. Why would I ever limit myself to only one thread?

juliasb 11-26-2019 07:16 AM

I love Glide threads for quilting they are strong and able to handle both DSM or LA.

Onebyone 11-26-2019 07:26 AM

I love thread as much a fabric. I have tried them all. Some are great some not so great in each of my machines. I buy a spool of any thread I haven't used before and try it out. My go to thread is Aurifil, Superior, and Wonderfil for piecing. All 50 wt or higher. I do not use Coats and Clark thread. It's short staple cotton ends twisted together. It causes me all kinds of problems from slubs to shredding to tension.

For quilting I like Glide and Superior specialty threads.

Rhonda K 11-26-2019 04:00 PM

I use Floriani brand for machine embroidery, sometimes piecing, stitching binding, and quilting.I've used pre-wound embroidery bobbins when I'm piecing. Lots of thread on pre-wounds so less bobbin changes.

You can also use it in bobbins when you want to match fabric.

The glide thread is great too. It also comes in smaller spools (like embroidery thread spools) which I like.

Jingle 11-26-2019 04:52 PM

My main thread is coats and clark. Works for me.

Claire123 11-26-2019 05:26 PM

I think all of the brands you mentioned are nice. Depends what kind of things you do or are thinking of doing.

loisf 11-26-2019 10:03 PM

I love Aurifil 50 weight for piecing. I use four colors - white, black, grey and tan. For quilting with my Tiara sit-down, the dealer recommended Signature 40 weight. I have never had a problem with thread breaking. My favorite color is Moon Rock. It's a taupe color that is a true chameleon. It seems to take on the color of the fabric.

pocoellie 11-27-2019 06:03 AM

I use Connecting Threads Essentials for piecing, and Metro machine embroidery thread for quilting.

JACRN 11-28-2019 06:04 AM

I prefer Aurfil.