Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-t55135.html)

stefanib123 07-18-2010 04:44 PM

What's the difference between cotton thread and "cotton covered" polyester thread?

Coats and Clark has the all cotton one marked as machine quilting and the other one marked as hand quilting.

I've always heard to always use 100% cotton thread.

What thread do you use for quilting?

franie 07-18-2010 04:48 PM

I usually use cotton but with quilting branching out a little more and experimenting. I really like the Essentials thread from Connecting Threads.

littlehud 07-18-2010 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by franie
I usually use cotton but with quilting branching out a little more and experimenting. I really like the Essentials thread from Connecting Threads.

Me too!!!!!!! I discovered them by accident while cruising the net and I ordered a few to try them. I have bunches now. I use them for everything. Piecing to machine quilting.

Spydee 07-18-2010 04:56 PM

I also usually use cotton.

My current favorites include:

Connecting Threads thread (for piecing)
Superior Threads King Tut (for quilting)
Gutermann 100% Cotton (for quilting)
Coats & Clark 100% Cotton (for quilting) -- not Dual Duty

However, I will play with other threads such as glow-in-the-dark, metallics, etc.

IMHO, different types of threads are like so many things in quilting -- everything has a time and place.

tortoisethreads 07-18-2010 05:10 PM

Glow in the dark huh? Cool!

CAROLJ 07-18-2010 05:20 PM

Don't use hand quilting thread in your machine, it has a coating on it that may gum up your machine.

CAROLJ 07-18-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by franie

Is it as good as Aurifil? Does it make a lot of lint in the bobbin area?

hcarpanini 07-18-2010 05:24 PM

check out www.superiorthreads.com. It has great education about thread.

stefanib123 07-18-2010 05:29 PM

Well, you ladies know your thread! LOL! I knew this was the place to ask!

Glow in the dark thread! I have to have it. I'm planning a "space" type quilt for my newphew by Christmas and this would be awesome. He's 8, and you know an 8 year old boy would love that.

Is the Connecting Threads you are talking about the same as the website? I just ordered the Farmers Wife Sampler book from there today, and if that's the same one, I would have ordered some.

Also, if it is, I found a great coupon code for them. Its "charm2" and it took $5 off a $20 order, so that was awesome.

Spydee 07-18-2010 05:36 PM

Yes, Connecting Thread thread is available from www.connectingthread.com

As far as I know, they only sell it through their catalog/web site.

Very good thread at a very reasonable price. It comes on sale from time to time too.