Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Threads - Robinson Anton vs Guterman (and others) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/threads-robinson-anton-vs-guterman-others-t207113.html)

Whigrose 11-27-2012 07:06 PM

Threads - Robinson Anton vs Guterman (and others)

Hi all,
For several years I have used Gutermann threads with no problems to my primary machines (electric and treadles). Recently I came into possession of some new 50wt cotton Robinson Anton threads but haven't yet tried them out.

My question is - what thread do you use for your machine sewing & piecing, and why?

I should add the reason I use Gutermann is because this is what my LQS carries and there was no other option.

TIA for your input.

best,
d

Dolphyngyrl 11-27-2012 08:32 PM

I use whatever to sew. Have used gutterman, mettler, coats and clarks, superior, connecting threads, sulky, signature and my machine doesn't care. The only one I didn't care for was signature poly quilting thread. Your not obligated to stick with one brand unless you machine is finicky. RA is a good brand so I've heard

Charming 11-27-2012 08:41 PM

I use everything and anything even the cheapest thread just tried it for the heck of it and worked just fine. The only thing I do is clean or vacuum the bobbin area frequently not to pile any lint and to keep my machine happy and
clean ;-)

busy fingers 11-27-2012 10:38 PM

I only use Gutermann because that it is one that machine seems to "like". Other brands I have trouble with.

margee 11-28-2012 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5684584)
I use whatever to sew. Have used gutterman, mettler, coats and clarks, superior, connecting threads, sulky, signature and my machine doesn't care. The only one I didn't care for was signature poly quilting thread. Your not obligated to stick with one brand unless you machine is finicky. RA is a good brand so I've heard

I love the Signature Poly Quilting Thread . Just have to clean the bobbin area more often. Funny isn''t it what works for us.

gollytwo 11-28-2012 03:49 AM

I use Aurifil 50wt cotton as a top thread usually and Bottom Line always in the bobbin.

mic-pa 11-28-2012 03:55 AM

I use both Gutterman and Robson-Anton. However I have used many other kinds and my machine really doesn't care what I use.

Nilla 11-28-2012 04:20 AM

I generally use Aurifill as my bobbin. I'll use Aurifill, Mettler or Presencia as my top thread most of the time. I use Sulky for embroidery although once in a while I'll use something else because I want a different color or shine. I really like Aurifill as my bobbin though because it doesn't produce nearly as much lint in my bobbin case.

ckcowl 11-28-2012 04:23 AM

there are so many great threads on the market===i do not restrict myself to one particular (brand/type) i use many different threads- what works for each particular project- i use Gutterman the least- when i first purchased my sewing/embroidery machine i spent a couple hundred $$ on a whole display set of gutterman threads- when i finally started running out of them i never replaced any of them- found there were so many different ones that i felt were much better- easier to work with-did a better job. it is probably my least favorite thread. I like aurafil threads, YLI i use alot of , silk threads (from clover & YLI) machine quilting threads from connecting threads, threads from Superior Threads, sulky threads...i know if i went into my sewing/quilting rooms & looked there are probably at least another half dozen or more types/brands.

Silver Needle 11-28-2012 08:17 PM

I prefer Superior Threads "Masterpiece" thread for piecing. It's 100% cotton but not linty. It's 50 wt thread so it does not add bulk to the seam and IMHO gives me a better result?