Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thrift Store Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thrift-store-fabric-t246824.html)

judy5cents 05-15-2014 04:33 PM

Love thrift store finds... I haven't bought any dust ruffles yet but I am always on the lookout for men's shirts, sheets and pillow cases...will have to add dust ruffles to my list.

ILoveToQuilt 05-15-2014 04:45 PM

My local thrift shop usually doesn't have fabric. The sheets they sell are usually so worn, they are not worth buying. I do, however, buy men's 100% cotton shirts to use in quilts. Occasionally, I can get batik scrubs for under $2 each - also all cotton.

Nice buy, Heart... Have you decided what you are going to make with them?

DebbE 05-15-2014 05:07 PM

Yes, in addition to buying fabric there, I buy tablecloths, sheets, curtains, mens shirts & shower curtains, all in 100% cotton. Best time to buy is when its 50% off though. Bought $300 worth a couple years ago -- the owner of a local quilt store passed away months before & I'm pretty sure her family just donated all her fabric. Kept thinking what a shame it was that they did that, but I scooped it right up. At $2 to $3 a yard it was a great buy as it was fabulous fabric, most of it was high end yardage. Yard sales, garage sales, estate sales, etc, are all great places to look, too.

ging10ging 05-15-2014 05:19 PM

Good buy. I like to get things but it's hard down here in Fl. altho they have just opened a new one not far from here I want to check out. Happy cutting. Sue

bearisgray 05-15-2014 05:20 PM

I haven't seen much fabric at the garage/yard sales I've gone to this year. Or last year, either.

jbj137 05-17-2014 05:55 AM

*** Yes, I use them, as often as I can find them.

Belfrybat 05-17-2014 06:33 AM

Nice find. I also buy sheets and dust ruffles if the cotton count is at least 60%. I snagged a 100% king sized dust ruffle last year for a whopping 99 cents. I figured there was about 3 yards of fabric in that sucker.

Quilter Day-by-Day 05-17-2014 07:07 AM

Thanks for the idea never thought about checking out the dust ruffles.

linda faye 05-17-2014 07:12 AM

Yes, in fact the dust ruffles are one of my favorite things to fine. Less wear than other items and lots of fabric in them.

I also look for large sizes of denim clothes to cut for my denim quilt. I found a wonder ladies' jumper with a lot of good looking yardage to us.....paid .50 for it. :)

mpspeedy2 05-17-2014 07:13 AM

I make the pillowcase dresses out of gently used top sheets that I purchase at Goodwill and other such stores. I can get at least six dresses out of one sheet. A lot of people are like my husband who doesn't like sleeping under a top sheet. Since you get one with every sheet set you purchase a lot of them end up being donated. Yesterday I spent $6 at the Goodwill and expect to make at least 12 dresses from my purchase.