Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thrift Store Shopping--are you picky in what you buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thrift-store-shopping-you-picky-what-you-buy-t114381.html)

spartan quilter 04-07-2011 06:54 PM

I am building up my stash, but I only buy cottons, designs and colors that I like and can foresee a project with them. So, I guess that I am sort of picky. But, my stash is filling up, so now I have to get pickier.

wanderingcreek 04-07-2011 07:07 PM

I don't have that problem. I have never been able to find any fabric at our thrift shops!

sewingsuz 04-07-2011 07:24 PM

The last time I bought a little fabric at a thrift store, it was rolled up with tape and it was $2.50. I got home and it was all faded from sun when I unrolled it. I did not go back since. just said it was a donation. If it is rolled up and taped, beware, unroll it and look.

SherriB 04-07-2011 07:27 PM

I seldom find fabric at our thrift stores. And if they do have any, most often it is polyester fabric. I did luck up one time and find a good sized piece of minky for $2.00 and used it for the back of a baby quilt.

If the fabric is 100% cotton and it appeals to me, then I will buy it. If not, I don't. No sense in buying to just be buying.

Prism99 04-07-2011 07:31 PM

I've stopped going to the thrift shops because I need to be getting rid of stuff, not acquiring more stuff!

Pickles 04-07-2011 08:13 PM

Well as I am still building my stash I buy it all, even if it is
polyester, for using in Utility quilts, I also buy cloths and shirts
and sheets and table cloths, curtains and the such , so no I'm not in the least picky :-D

Painiacs 04-07-2011 08:15 PM

I am getting a little more picky now that I have a stash. Don't usually find fabric at thrift stores. I do buy pieces for dog beds that I'm not picky about. I don't think they care too much!0

quilting cat 04-07-2011 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I've stopped going to the thrift shops because I need to be getting rid of stuff, not acquiring more stuff!

I wish I could control my addiction that easily! I'm not as picky as I should be! :(
If it's cotton and I like it and the price is under $1 / yd, I can't resist! :lol:

earthwalker 04-07-2011 09:29 PM

I am pretty careful, but will buy most things as long as they are sound. I can always use them for pet bedding or as backs for picnic/utility quilts. We are planning a move to the South-West in a year or so...it is much colder there, so I need lots of quilts! (Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).

montanajan 04-07-2011 09:35 PM

I found a real score recently @ a thrift store. It was in a large clear bag so I saw many of the fabrics. It was taped shut to discourage buyers from picking through the fabric. I bought it & told store clerk. "I'll just re-donate what I cannot use" - works for me. Often, there is no fabric worth buying, so I didn't mind getting some pieces I will give back for them to sell.
I should be more discriminating - my stash is getting out of hand.