Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thrift Stores/Yard Sales - How often do you go? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thrift-stores-yard-sales-how-often-do-you-go-t194373.html)

Pickles 07-12-2012 08:06 PM

I use to go to the thrift shops and garage sales every weekend, but since getting older and on a fixed income I
hardly ever to to go to any of them at all and I sure miss the hunt.

Tartan 07-12-2012 08:14 PM

I don't stop at garage or yard sales. I figure I have enough "stuff" without adding to mine. I do stop at the thrift stores in town every couple of weeks just to see if they have any sewing stuff. This week I picked up a whole bag of brand new zippers for $1.

Vicki W 07-12-2012 08:28 PM

my DD and I normally go about one weekend a month. Her DH is in the national guard so we will go his duty weekend. She has just bought a new house so she is decorating and I look...and come home with some goodies...Two weekend ago, I got three brand new outfits for my DGD who will be arriving in Sept/Oct. All three had the original tags on them and I spent 3 dollars.

Nancy Ingham 07-16-2012 10:43 AM

I just love going to thrift stores and yard sales and I try to get out every weekend. The amount of fabric, sewing baskets, storage containers, vintage sewing machines, serger, quilting books and magazines, quilt tops and/or quilt kits, etc, etc, that I have purchased for very little money is amazing! I would not have been able to afford all the wonderful things that I have purchased if I had to pay full store price.

pinkberrykay 07-16-2012 11:47 AM

I tend to go every Friday, thats when most happen in my small town. I have found a few vintage machines and have picked up one. I have found little fabric and what I did find I could not commit to buying it. Not sure why I am so apprehensive about purchasing fabric from a yard sell or Goodwill. I don't buy cloths from yard sales either. One of these days I am sure to hit the jackpot of fabrics. This town has a huge quil
ting community so I know there is some out there.

Up North 07-16-2012 12:00 PM

I have enough "stuff" so I try to avoid them my mom went to alot of them and I have alot of "stuff" from her too. I always feel like I need to buy something so I stay away.

Judith1005 07-17-2012 04:36 PM

I too live vicariously through other quilt boarders. I'm between jobs right now. And, had to downsize my stash by half when I moved out of state. I really don't want to buy to far ahead. I'm trying to really quilt up my stash and save my money. (For now.) But, I have seen some other QBR's get some really good deals.

Stitchnripper 07-17-2012 04:46 PM

I go to the thrift stores on a regular basis. Most of them are on my "path" to the gym, grocery store, etc. Garage/estate sales more sporadic. Not usually in the winter, but, like frogs and princesses, I find I have to go to tons of garage/estate sales before I find anything interesting.