Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Throw pillows. How do I fill in corners? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/throw-pillows-how-do-i-fill-corners-t307410.html)

janjanq 10-13-2019 06:50 AM

Throw pillows. How do I fill in corners?

Recently i have been making throw pillows out of pieced blocks. The back is envelope style. I usually use 14" pillow forms. My question is, how do I get the pillow form into the corners? I read somewhere to make the pillow cover two inches smaller than the pillow form. I tried that and it was a disaster! Do I curve the seams or angle the stitches in the corners? The pillows I have made look fine from a distance, but up close you can tell that the corners are not stuffed. Any suggestions?

Daffy Daphne 10-13-2019 07:00 AM

I do angle the stitches or curve the corners most of the time, but with pieced blocks you may not want to lose any of the corner pieces. In that case you can poke some polyfill or other stuffing into the corners to fill them out.

Daffy

Tartan 10-13-2019 07:02 AM

When I do the seam to sew the front of the pillow to the back, I sew over a folded piece of batt or stuffing in each corner. It makes it a little harder to push out the corners but the stuffing is right where it is needed. I put in a regular pillow form to finish.
If your machine cannot handle the bulk in the corners, hand sew a folded piece of batt to the corner seam allowance.

Quilting Chris 10-13-2019 07:12 AM

I volunteer with a quilting group at our senior center that makes a lot of pillows to sell and donate to the local hospital. What we do for the corners is cut up remnants of cotton 80/20 batting in 1" squares and stuff those into the corners before we fill the rest of the case with fiber fill

Onebyone 10-13-2019 09:20 AM

I took a pillow class a long time ago. I remember if using a pillow form, line the empty pillow with batting first and measure the pillow form across the puff part, not from edge to edge. Make the outer front and back fabric square is the same measurement as the pillow form across the puff.

Moira in N.E. England 10-13-2019 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8312776)
When I do the seam to sew the front of the pillow to the back, I sew over a folded piece of batt or stuffing in each corner. It makes it a little harder to push out the corners but the stuffing is right where it is needed. I put in a regular pillow form to finish.
If your machine cannot handle the bulk in the corners, hand sew a folded piece of batt to the corner seam allowance.

Thank you for sharing this clever idea!

Moira in N.E. England 10-13-2019 11:51 AM

I also make throw pillows with envelope-style backs. I check the pillow forms and, if necessary, I wriggle the stuffing into the corners.

I had also used pillow forms larger than the cover and have found that the back needs to have plenty of overlap or it will gape. If I am making a 16 inch cover the 2 back pieces will be at least 12 inches long. I’m making 18 inch covers at the moment - the back pieces a generous 13 inches long. It might be a struggle to get the pillow form in but the opening will be reasonably flat and neat.

I’m also going to try Tartan’s idea - it’s a good one!

lynnie 10-13-2019 03:38 PM

i saw on a show to start 2" from the point of the corner. angel down 1/2" to the corner point. so you will start 2" from the corner, measure down 1/2", and sew into the corner. do this on all 4 corners. the pillow will pump up a bit.
i also use a larger pillow form than the pillow itself. and I have stuffed the corners also. When I don't use a pillow form, I stuff the corners very firmly.
I can't wait to hear what every one else comes up with.

sydneybean 10-13-2019 04:19 PM

I used Soft and Stable for a pillow I made. I quilted it to the back of the block. I really like it! It is like the Bozal foam used for purses and totes.

sewbizgirl 10-13-2019 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 8312968)
i saw on a show to start 2" from the point of the corner. angel down 1/2" to the corner point. so you will start 2" from the corner, measure down 1/2", and sew into the corner. do this on all 4 corners.

This is how I do pillows... The resulting pillow looks square. You can't tell the corners have been angled.