Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tied (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tied-t257128.html)

barking-rabbit 11-21-2014 08:08 AM

Tied

This morning on a Facebook post , someone commented that a tied quilt was a comforter. Took me back a minute. My grandmother pieced her quilts and tied them as did her mother.
I had ever heard this.

tessagin 11-21-2014 08:19 AM

I was always told the difference between a quilt and a comforter was the closeness of the stitching/tying. Quilts were closer stitched/tied. Comforters were stitched/tied much further apart. If you look some comforters are as far apart in stitching as a foot. Some are only stitched/tied around the edges and very little in the center. I just call them as the words roll of my tongue. I have no problem with standing and being corrected. All opinions and corrections are welcomed. Just be nice, please!:)

bakermom 11-21-2014 08:37 AM

I was always told a comforter is tied, a quilt, stitched. To me they are both quilts but in my mind I think"comforter" when I tie a "quilt"

quiltingcandy 11-21-2014 08:43 AM

I too grew up with the understanding that a tied quilt was a comforter - also, it was much fluffier, the extra high loft batting or double batting. Does it really matter? After all a rose by any other name is still a rose, is it not?

SueSew 11-21-2014 08:51 AM

This is how we call things where I come from -

I think a comforter is stuffed all plump with some really fluffy batting or down or 'feather-alternative'. It has wide-spaced channel quilting and cross-sewing to hold the stuffing in place. It is often so decorative no bedspread is necessary.

I think a quilt is fairly flat, usually cotton, with a backing fabric and usually with a flat batting in the middle, densely sewn in some pattern or other or just hatching, and not thick and puffy at all. It doesn't need to be covered by a bedspread and it is very often made of lots of little pieces of fabric (in my case perfectly good fabric cut into hundreds of little pieces!), or possibly scraps of old clothing, joined in a decorative pattern.

Bedspreads can be a any fabric, even brocade, can be rectangularr or tailored to bed size, and some have a quilted silky-feeling backing to them, but they are still designed to COVER UP the bedclothes, not to keep you warm.

A duvet is one of those plain white comforters stuffed with goose down or 'alternative' and it has a duvet cover. I call it a comforter with airs!

JMHO!

ManiacQuilter2 11-21-2014 08:59 AM

Comforters were tied because of the thick batting and were made from whole Home Dec fabrics. That is what my understanding is.

Onebyone 11-21-2014 09:46 AM

I don't know. A cover, bedspread, comforter, blanket, throw, quiver, or quilt. They all serve the same purpose.

Jan in VA 11-21-2014 03:10 PM

Maybe this will help eliminate the "argument".

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines quilt as: QUILT. : a bed coverlet of two layers of cloth filled with padding (as down or batting) held in place by ties or stitched designs.

Jan in VA

meyert 11-21-2014 03:15 PM

This is how I looked at it.... silly old me.... if they were store bought they were comforters. If they were made by yourself or someone else (other than the Walmart or JC Penney factory) then the were quilts

ube quilting 11-21-2014 03:44 PM

Comforters are found in hotels, quilts are found in homes:D. I have always called them quilts, tied or stitched.

Also a comforter, in my humble, modern opinion, has a very high loft. Right or wrong, that is how I distinguish them.
peace