Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tieing Off Back Threads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tieing-off-back-threads-t221875.html)

jeragan 05-20-2013 05:13 AM

Tieing Off Back Threads

Hi: I'm a new quilter and don't have the foggiest idea how to tie off the many threads on the back of my quilt as I quilt it. I have many starts and stops, so there are many threads to deal with. Thanks.

Jingle 05-20-2013 05:19 AM

I don't tie mine off. I just do a few very small stitches at beginning and end. I bring the bobbin thread up and go from there.

auntpiggylpn 05-20-2013 05:45 AM

When I start my quilting, I bring the bobbin thread up. When I finish a line of quilting, I leave about 3 inches of tail. Then I just use a needle and pull the threads thru the middle of the quilt.

Sierra 05-20-2013 07:29 AM

If you machine doesn't automatically tie off and cut you can either stop the movement (like with a featherweight) and stitch in place and cut all the extra strings later, or you can back stitch a couple of stitches and forward to the end of that stitch line and stop and cut later by going over the entire quilt back.

MartiMorga 05-20-2013 07:58 AM

there are so many thoughts about securing the threads. Since you have the threads hanging loose now and can't go back to stitch in place or whatever system is suggested - you should pull the back threads to the front or front to back, tie a knot and use a needle to thread them and pull them into the sandwich of your quilt. This is the long time way, but at least they are secure.

Tartan 05-20-2013 08:19 AM

​Are you hand or machine quilting? In hand quilting you can do a quilter's knot and pop it into the sandwich when starting or ending a line of quilting. In machine quilting, I tie my thread end together and use a easy thread needle to bury them in the sandwich.

michelleoc 05-20-2013 09:51 AM

Tartan: that's what I do too. I make a game out of it, especially if I'm doing straight line quilting. I do a couple of rows, then do the tying off of the rows that I've done. I stand up while I do it so it keeps me from sitting in the same position all the time.

SusanSusan33 05-20-2013 11:35 AM

I used to just trim (oops) but now I bring my bobbin thread up before I quilt and take about 8 very small stiches before increasing the stitch size. I do the same a the end of a row or when I need to "break thread". I just heard that term for the first time and I think it's so cute.

franc36 05-20-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6074745)
When I start my quilting, I bring the bobbin thread up. When I finish a line of quilting, I leave about 3 inches of tail. Then I just use a needle and pull the threads thru the middle of the quilt.

That's what I do also. I use a cheater needle (those needles with an opening in the top that you push the thread through instead of threading). I do hand knot the threads before pulling them into the batting.

ckcowl 05-20-2013 01:26 PM

the threads should be on the top- both the top & bobbin thread- bring the bobbin thread to the top before starting to stitch (needle down- holding top thread- needle up---brings bobbin thread up- hold both threads and take a few stitches- you can either make a few tiny (in place) stitches *locking stitch* then clip the threads at the quilt surface- or you can tie the two threads together- thread onto a needle and then push the needle into the quilt sandwich- weaving it into the batting a little ways- popping the knot into the batting- bring the needle back out & clip at the surface.