Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Time to sandwich - not my favorite thing to do. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/time-sandwich-not-my-favorite-thing-do-t237662.html)

DebraK 12-29-2013 03:39 PM

I did the same as dunster and DogHouseMom. Not so unbelievable at all ;-)

prior to that, the board method worked well for me, but still not enjoyable.

RST 12-29-2013 03:48 PM

I hate it too. I make it tolerable by turning it into a social thing. When I have 3 or 4 tops ready to sandwich and baste, I'll post on Facebook that I need someone to help me out. I always find a friend or two to come over and help. In exchange, I help them with a project. With some music and chatting, it goes faster.

I use a ping pong table and I pin baste with regular safety pins. I wish I could do the spray basting, but the sprays I've tried irritate my lungs a lot-- can't afford to be coughing endlessly when I'm trying to quilt. It's bad for the FMQ skills.

DebraK 12-29-2013 03:51 PM

RST, I like your method ;-)

BellaBoo 12-29-2013 04:33 PM

I don't know why everyone isn't using Elmer's School Glue for basting. It washes out, easy to quilt through, and cheap.

liking quilting 12-29-2013 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6480752)
I don't know why everyone isn't using Elmer's School Glue for basting. It washes out, easy to quilt through, and cheap.

I'm just working on one that I used Elmer's washable school glue, and I love not having to remove pins or snag basted stitches with the foot. I really love the glue basting method and will definitely use it again too!

Stitchnripper 12-29-2013 05:05 PM

Elmer's washable glue for me too. I've tried everything but the boards and this is the easiest and gives me the best results

ArlaJo 12-29-2013 05:16 PM

I don't mind the sandwiching, I spray baste, but hate to quilt. This year I started using a longarmer. I love Kelly! I quilt he baby quilts bu do straight line quilting.

RST 12-29-2013 06:14 PM

My trial with the Elmer's left me not liking it at all. When the needle hits a hard glob of glue, my FMQ was distorted. I had more puckers on the back than with a pinned basting, and it really did not save me any time. I'll revisit it someday, I guess, but so far not loving it. I know I'm the exception and pretty much everyone else loves it.

Nammie to 7 12-29-2013 08:24 PM

It is more difficult for me to sandwich the quilt -- I just don't have the room to lay out a big quilt. I do have a friend who helps me -- we go to the training room in her place of employment (where I retired from) and push the big tables together. She helps me pin so it goes pretty fast. I usually do 2 or 3 at a time, then all I have to do is agonize out the quilting!!

MacThayer 12-29-2013 10:35 PM

Sandwiching is my least favorite part of quilting too. I think I'm going to try the boards and either spray baste or use water soluble threat for basting.

Perhaps it just wouldn't be right if we enjoyed every aspect of the quilting process.

I'd like to find someone who would be willing to sandwich my quilts in exchange for another part of the process on their quilt! LOL! We'll see.