Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Time senstivie question about basting spray . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/time-senstivie-question-about-basting-spray-t67909.html)

cminor 10-02-2010 01:06 PM

Ok, I am all set. I put together a really easy baby blanket for a friend at work and I just got the spray from Joannes. No - not the good 501 spray - but this is my first try.

What are the tips that will make this go better? I am going to start this in about a half hour or so . .

What do you think??

Katia 10-02-2010 01:21 PM

Cover everything in the room. Wear a mask. Better yet do it outside. Make sure you have everything pressed and ready. An extra set of hands always helps.

At least this is what I came up with the other day when I was trying to spray baste in my sewing room. I had my big cutting table up and thought everything was ready to go. The fact that I could not get around my table without moving it, proved to be a big problem. I actually got stuck behind the table and had to call my husband in to help. I did get it done, then flipped it over and the back is a mess. So now I have to pull that up, I hope and redo it. Then I had to air out the room because I had a bad headache. Plus my nose was literaly stuck together inside, yuck. And I had to scrub down my desk and keyboard and other things that had been over sprayed. What a mess.

My husband told me we need to figure out a better way to put quilts together. I told him he could buy me a long arm set up and that would help. No good, didn't fall for that. So I told him about how someone had mentioned a ping pong table. He thought that sounded great and said we need to start looking for one. I have room on the back porch to be able to do it, and it can be put away when I don't need it. So now I am on a quest for a ping pong table.

Holice 10-02-2010 01:36 PM

There was a show on The Quilt Show about spray basting on the wall. It looks doable.
I have an 8x4" piece of plywood cut in half that I put on the dining table, cover with a sheet and put newspaper all around it to spray baste.
You need to cover completely with spray but ot sturate the backing and batting. Tape or pin the batting down so it won't wrinkle.
I also found that after spraying all layers then to iron the back. The heat will loosen the spray and enable you to smooth the backing out. Do this for the top if it needs it.
Also, when you lay out the layers, smooth all down very good and then fold 1/2 of top and batting and do 1/2 at the time. Don't try and start at the top when flat on the table. This helps to smooth. Then while holding the layer start in the middle and smooth down and out.
The segment on The Quilt Show used 505 and said she had a quilt that had been spray basted 5 yrs ago and was still plyable. Be sure the spray says "temporary".

redvette54 10-02-2010 01:45 PM

I just did my first sandwiching using spray and had to work on the floor. You really can't tape your backing to carpet and I didn't like the way the backing was bunching up, so I starched the heck out of it. I'm happy with using the spray and will be looking for a ping pong table.

cuppi duke 10-02-2010 01:45 PM

Someone(I think it's Patsy Thompson) has a great video on the web about spray basting. She does it on her wall. I use my bed and just cover it with newspapers before I start laying my quilt down to spray. Also, a little goes a long ways. Don't oversaturate it, you are just wasting glue. I hope this helps.

cminor 10-02-2010 01:59 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I did a search quick before I started and saw how to be careful with it getting all over. I cut up a couple boxes, put them on the floor of the garage and it worked great.

That has to be the best 10 bucks I have spent in a while!!

Pictures later once I finish it all up :)

pstoner 10-02-2010 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by cminor
Ok, I am all set. I put together a really easy baby blanket for a friend at work and I just got the spray from Joannes. No - not the good 501 spray - but this is my first try.

What are the tips that will make this go better? I am going to start this in about a half hour or so . .

What do you think??

Ok but don't laugh at me, I use my DH hay rack- it 9' x 16' using thumb tacks I pull it tight lay out the batting and top then fold the end half way back (top and batting only) spray the backing, starting in the center doing only an arm's reach at a time. Then fold and smooth the batting over the sprayed section, then spray the batting and smooth the top down. I repeat this process until I reach one end.

Then move to the other end and start over. I also use safety pins as I go just to make sure it stays secure.

littlehud 10-02-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by cminor
Thanks for all the advice. I did a search quick before I started and saw how to be careful with it getting all over. I cut up a couple boxes, put them on the floor of the garage and it worked great.

That has to be the best 10 bucks I have spent in a while!!

Pictures later once I finish it all up :)

I'm glad it worked well for you. I decided to try it a while ago and I was hooked. I love the way it works.

madelinkk 10-03-2010 07:21 AM

Try doing it on your garage door. It'll save your back, take care of the fumes, and give your neighbors something new to talk about.

quilterken 10-03-2010 08:17 AM

I love 505 basting spray for runners, art quilts, but never use it in a baby quilt. I just worried about that new fresh skin having a reaction with the chemicals. It doesn't wash out of your quilt and have you ever tried to get it off your hands.