Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Timing for my Dear Jane Quilt - Am I crazy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/timing-my-dear-jane-quilt-am-i-crazy-t247480.html)

MaryKatherine 05-27-2014 12:29 PM

Timing for my Dear Jane Quilt - Am I crazy?

3 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to decide whether I should aim for having my Dear Jane quilt finished and quilted in time for our Guild's 25th anniversary show. This is a year from now, but there is a catch. I'm hand sewing all the blocks and planning on hand quilting it as well.
I have 80 blocks finished to date. I know it seems like I should have enough time but I can't devote all my time to this quilt. I guess I should also add I've never hand quilted before either. I'm a machine girl and a long arm quilter.
So WHY? you ask. I decided, given the history of the quilt, it merited a thoughtful and meaningful assembly, maybe as an homage to our ancestors. I've taken the blocks to work for about a year and half already, as something to do in my breaks, and not worked at them at home at all. That will have to change. How long will it take to quilt?
I'm thinking too, if I put it out to this assemblage of fine women all over the world, I might actually accomplish this feat. What do you think?
Here's some pics of a few complete blocks.
MaryKatherine

QuiltE 05-27-2014 01:27 PM

Yesssssssss .... I'd say, go for it!!!!!!!!
I know you can do it, along with all your other multitude of projects.
Each will act as a break from the other, and send you back with enthusiasm each time.

And take note ...... I vow that I will come to see it IRL!!!!!!! :D:D:D
(wonder, if I could get my DJ done in the same time frame?? .... though I already know it cannot be shown at your Guild Show!)

quilt addict 05-27-2014 01:34 PM

Yes you can do it but will have to change how much you work on it. Give yourself plenty of time to handquilt though. You can decide how densly you will quilt it as that will determine how much time it will take you.

But will putting a deadline on your work spoil the enjoyment for you? That would be my deciding factor.

Thank you for sharing the lovely work you have done so far.

bearisgray 05-27-2014 01:37 PM

Lovely work on the blocks.

Some blocks go together relatively easily. Some are real challenges.

As far as timing goes - I have no idea of how quickly you work and what else you have going on in your life.

Remember that there are all those triangles along the sides, too.

QuiltingVagabond 05-27-2014 01:58 PM

Go for it! But even if finishing on time doesn't work out, you could still display it as a 'work in progress', right?

MaryKatherine 05-27-2014 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6733742)
Yesssssssss .... I'd say, go for it!!!!!!!!
I know you can do it, along with all your other multitude of projects.
Each will act as a break from the other, and send you back with enthusiasm each time.

And take note ...... I vow that I will come to see it IRL!!!!!!! :D:D:D
(wonder, if I could get my DJ done in the same time frame?? .... though I already know it cannot be shown at your Guild Show!)

QuiltE You always make me laugh!
MK

QuiltE 05-27-2014 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine (Post 6733802)
QuiltE You always make me laugh!
MK

No laughing matter at all!!!!:D:D:D
I'm totally serious, as I know you can do it!

I've got 74 blocks done, so just behind you ....
... though mine are NOT being done by hand!
I haven't done any for a month now and am totally itchy to get back to them.
When I started this, I said no deadline, and I HAD to be able to do other projects. It's been working good for me. While I know I could get possessed with doing the DJs, I also know, that if I had tried to do it as a front-burner project, I would probably soon begrudge it.

So come on ... put it in B+W ... and then you know you have your commitment.
I think you are already there ... but just not wanting to over commit.
Sooooooo .... commit to yourself, with the up-front acceptance that if it does not get done on time, your heart will not be broken ... and life will go on! :)

After all ... school's almost out for the summer and you can go wild!! :D:D

dunster 05-27-2014 02:43 PM

Lacelady finished hers in less than 7 months, machine pieced, hand appliqued, hand quilted. But she is an accomplished hand quilter. I would say go for it, but if you lose enjoyment in making the quilt, then stop pressuring yourself to get it done.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...nt-t55808.html

ManiacQuilter2 05-27-2014 02:50 PM

Dear MaryKatherine
I would give hand quilting a try on a smaller project first maybe just making a tiny quilt from one block. Those blocks are TINY so you might find is not enjoyable to hand quilt. I wish you the best of luck to reach your goal. You might just have to set some goals along the way to keep you on finishing your quilt on time for your guild's anniversary.

LivelyLady 05-27-2014 03:17 PM

I like machine quilting, but love hand quilting. It has such a nice flow and you only use one stitch so I grab mine when I sit on the porch or in my garden and in the evening in front of the TV. It'll go faster than you think and you'll find it very relaxing. I kept track of my time when I hand quilted my first quilt, which was many years ago, and it totaled 84 hours. Make sure you start off using a thimble and have a little pair of pliers. Enjoy!