Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tin Lizzie 18 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tin-lizzie-18-a-t279393.html)

mamajack3 06-07-2016 04:41 PM

Tin Lizzie 18

I'm thinking of getting one of these machines. Anyone own one that can give me some pros and cons? Thanks!

PaperPrincess 06-07-2016 04:53 PM

Is it a new one? Are you buying from a dealer? I had one, a Tin Lizzie LS18, about 8 years ago. It stitched well, tension was very easy to set, however, the stitch regulator was constantly failing, and the dealer was no help. I finally learned to stitch without it. The frame had aluminum poles and flexed a lot. I would get feedback on the dealer and make sure they will provide a lot of training and support after sales.

mamajack3 06-07-2016 06:23 PM

Yes it is new. Supposedly they found a few in the warehouse. I can't afford a really good long arm. I just don't want to get into a big headache. Thanks!

AudreyB 06-07-2016 07:12 PM

I have a Tin Lizzie Ram and it works good. I originally had a Tin Lizzie 18 that I purchased used and had a lot of tension problems with it. I found Texas Quilt Machines in Spring, Texas. They fixed the tension and later gave me a great trade-in for the Ram. My Ram had a hard-to-find electronic problem and Texas Quilt Machines worked tirelessly to fix it. Great service. The stitch regulator on both my old machine and new machine worked just fine.

PM me if you want to chat about it.

Gramie bj 06-07-2016 08:40 PM

A good dealer is a must! I bought my Lizzy new several years ago. That first year I called my dealer so often I did not have to introduce myself, the employees knew my voice. 99.9% of my problems were operator error. Very easy machine to use. Not a whole lot I could do to mess things up that they could not walk me through how to fix it over the phone. My closes dealer is 6 hours away and over 2 mountain passes . One way trip.

nena 06-08-2016 07:53 AM

Had a lot of trouble with stitch reg. Other than that everything is fine. I just learned to use free motion. No regulator .
If the price is right go for it . I paid 6.500.00 for mine just to get the stitch reg. ( that didn't work) Ha I have had it about 8 years so I do not know what the price would be now. But maybe that will give you an idea.

Cindy60545 06-09-2016 02:29 AM

I have the Queen Quilter 18, made by Tin Lizzie. (It's for sale for $3,500). I've had it for 4 years & just upgraded to my dream machine - an APQS Millenium. I've never had any trouble with the stitch regulation, not had any problems with tension or anything else that wasn't operator error. Tin Lizzie factory is just a phone call away & always very helpful & don't make you feel dumb for asking questions or helping you through whatever your problem is. PM me for anything, you're in my neighborhood.

hcarpanini 06-09-2016 04:32 AM

Make sure you have good retailer support close by. Nothing worse than having to ship off and wait.

Colorful1 06-09-2016 05:00 AM

Check out the Handi Quilter Simply Sixteen w Little Foot Frame. It's a solid machine and frame (for quilting all size quilts) that's really well-priced, easy to use, includes stitch regulator, and has amazing support (consumer tech phone lines, education, and YouTube). Its stitch quality is gorgeous.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-09-2016 05:49 AM

I just can't recommend anything Handi Quilter makes. Their dealer support is not regulated by the company.