Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tin Lizzie 18 - help basting the quilt / getting it all set up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tin-lizzie-18-help-basting-quilt-getting-all-set-up-t135036.html)

LucyInTheSky 07-03-2011 07:50 PM

I just got a TL18 and am having all kinds of trouble learning how to use it! The guy came and assembled it, and then the lady came to train me, came in, rolled up the quilt completely wrong (top was on the bottom bar, bottom was on the top), said "play with it" and left. I've watched the DVD many times, but am still having some issues.

Specifically, I have a quilt (correctly) rolled onto the bars. I am trying to baste it, like they do in the DVD, where she uses the lowest SPI setting to go across the top. When I do that, the foot pushes against the quilt top, and I ended up with my quilt going at an angle along the top (and I was careful to get it parallel to the top bar when I laid it out). I had to rip out all the
stitches since it wasn't workable.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, since that's how she did it in the DVD. I did my 1st quilt (this is #2) without basting and I got all kinds of bunching on the top and sides, so I was hoping this would work to fix it.

Any help is appreciated. I've had my machine for over a month and I've barely touched it, since I've been so frustrated with not knowing how to set up quilts on it. The free motion quilting I'm not worried about, it's the set up that causes me so much trouble.

Oh, and I did ask for help on the TL Yahoo board. I just have such great luck on this board, I wanted to post here as well

skippitydodahquilts 07-03-2011 07:57 PM

Have you spray basted? That's what I was taught, to prevent what you've been experiencing. I use 505 Spray and Fix. It can be found at a lot of places, including Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...+spray+and+fix

505 is a great product. I never get problems with the needle gumming up, and it always washes out with the first wash. A little goes a long way, so keep that in mind when spraying. I hope this helps!

ckcowl 07-04-2011 02:10 AM

i would contact the dealer again and really insist on training-instruction.
it is an investment- and you should receive (as part of the purchase) free instruction to learn to use your set up- if the dealer does not satisfactorly provide customer training contact Thin Lizzy (home office) and report your problem.
they do have good customer service who can talk you through some problems over the phone- they may even send someone else to you depending on availability in your area.
there is no sense putting out that much money to have a dust catcher because you did not recieve proper training- but you need to be the one to initiate-- (they) can not know you need help if you do not contact them.

luvstoquilt301 07-04-2011 02:57 AM

I do not know anything about this particular machine as I have an HQ16. I had to teach myself to use it as I purchased it used.

BUT I pin baste my quilt sandwich across the top instead of stitching. When the top section is stitched and ready to roll---I remove those pins.

I also pin baste down each side with 4 pins. When that section is stitched-----I remove the side pins----roll---and reattach the pins down the side.

I make quilts for myself and charity. I have a part time job and do not want quilting to be THAT. So I am just fine with how mine turn out. I quilt for a couple of friends and they think they are fabulous.

I just do free motion unmarked from the front of the machine.

cathyquilty 07-04-2011 03:09 AM

I also have a Tin Lizzie 18LS and I don't baste I put some pins across the top to hold it until I roll I only put pins on the side If the top won't lie flat I have never had a problem with any puckers I use the clamps on the sides to hold the backing straight I also belong to the yahoo group Tin Lizzie and Marge on the group is a lot of help she knows a lot about the machine so give them a try and good luck I really love my machine now I'm sure you will too It is a learning curve takes a little time

Lindsey 07-04-2011 03:19 AM

I just do a basting stitch across the top. Pinning is fine. then I stitch down the sides. Pinning here is fine also. I float the top which means I don't pin the top to the bottom roller. Or roll the batting on the batting roller. It just takes practice. I am sure there is a video on utube there is a video for everything there. http://tinlizzie18.com/archives/vari...longarm-frame/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yijRqia9frw

katrbee 07-04-2011 03:33 AM

I don't have the tin lizzie, I have a n HQ 16, and I too float my tops, but always machine baste the top edge of the top. When I first started I had to do one stitch at a time and move slowly across the top, now I can go at the slowest speed. I takes a little practice and a very flatly ironed top to start with.Practice, and you will get comfortable with it. Remember there is no one way to do it.

MamaHen 07-04-2011 03:41 AM

I have a Handi Quilter Avante-sometimes I pin, most times I baste along the top. Yes the hopping foot will push the material specially if the top isn't completely square & flat. Put your machine on largest stitch, slowest speed, and slowly move to either side while using other hand to help hold material flat as you move along. Like walking your fingers infront of foot. This takes some practice but it will come in time. Good luck and remember to practice practice, practice. Lots of good you tube videos also.

MaryStoaks 07-04-2011 07:09 AM

It sounds to me like your take-up bar may be adjusted too high to start. Try lowering it a bit, untill the foot is just able to glide across the quilt top. You can raise the take-up bar when you need to, as the project progresses and the quilt roll on the take-up bar gets thicker. You should be able to just slide your fingers between the the take-up bar and the base of your machine. I hope this helps.

LucyInTheSky 07-04-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i would contact the dealer again and really insist on training-instruction.
it is an investment- and you should receive (as part of the purchase) free instruction to learn to use your set up- if the dealer does not satisfactorly provide customer training contact Thin Lizzy (home office) and report your problem.
they do have good customer service who can talk you through some problems over the phone- they may even send someone else to you depending on availability in your area.
there is no sense putting out that much money to have a dust catcher because you did not recieve proper training- but you need to be the one to initiate-- (they) can not know you need help if you do not contact them.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I tell my students the same thing - I don't know if you need help unless you tell me. Thank you for the kick in the butt!