Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tin Lizzie 18 Quilting Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tin-lizzie-18-quilting-machine-t20380.html)

Texas Quilter 05-20-2009 07:55 PM

I want to start machine quilting my own quilts and I was looking at the Tin Lizzie 18. Does anyone have one of these or know much about it. I would like to try to quilt for the public (we could use the extra money).

Texas Quilter

MaryStoaks 05-21-2009 06:15 AM

I have the Tin Lizzie 18, the older model. There are others on this forum who have the Tin Lizzie 18 LS, the newer machine. They are good basic machines with enough throat space and side to side frame space to quilt large quilts. They come with most of the bells and whistles at a much lower price than the high end machines. I am very satisfied with mine.
That said you should try one and other brands as well before buying. Check-out the Tin Lizzie forum on Yahoo. Check-out the Home Quilting Systems forum and forums for any other brands you are interested in. Investigate the possibility of a used machine with warrenty from a manufacturer.
Quilting for others is a nice goal but it will take you quite a while to get good enough to charge for your work. It isn't as easy as it looks to keep your customers happy. There are also forums for professional quilters. Be informed before you make this big purchase.

Cookn 05-21-2009 06:18 AM

Where in Texas are you located ?

I would seriously suggest that you try several different machines before you purchase. Purchasing a mid arm or long arm is not something to jump into. There are so many factors that come into play that a rash decision, because of advertising pressure, is not in your best interest.

If you plan to quilt professionally, a mid arm like the Tin Lizzie or any make, might not be your best choice. A mid arm won't allow you to quilt a 12" block on point in one pass. Frame options for several mid arms are limited and the ones that are available limit what you can quilt. When you purchase a quilting machine you generally purchase a package with machine and frame. The frame can make or break a machine. You are usually limited to a 10 to 12 inch width pass with a mid arm machine. It sometimes limits the pantographs you can use and makes your pattern repeat very noticeable. If you plan to upgrade to a computer robotic system, your choices are limited, either non existent or very expensive. Most professional quilters I am aware of at some point have upgraded to a robotic system, because it makes the business so much easier.

While it seems that I negative on mid arms, they do offer several pluses. They are usually lighter that a long arm maker them a bit easier to use, due to easier movement. The fact that they are shorter also offers a huge plus if you are smaller in stature, your arms might just not be long enough for a 26" longarm, and you couldn't use all the capability it offers.

Do test drive several different brands and several different machines within a brand. Look specifically at things like noise level, vibration levels (remember that you'll be hanging on to it for hours at a time), ease of maintenance ( because you'll be doing most of it) , most importantly dealer support and manufacturer support. Is it thread sensitive, will it run just about any thread or is it picky, some machines only run well on certain threads.

Owning a longarm is great, but look before you leap. It opens up lots of avenues for creativity and to me is the most enjoyable part of quilting. I can stand at the machine for hours and be totally immersed in it. It's addicting. Turning pro is really part of the progression of owning one, everyone will ask you to quilt for them, so it's not a reach to open a business. If that's what you plan to do make sure you start out on the right foot.

Railsbackr 08-12-2011 05:15 AM

I have a Tin Lizzie 18 and can't get the machine to run. It will turn on but won't move. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong?

glassnquilts 08-12-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Railsbackr
I have a Tin Lizzie 18 and can't get the machine to run. It will turn on but won't move. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong?

I suggest calling the manufacturer. They have been very nice and helpful.

Railsbackr 08-12-2011 08:11 PM

Do you have a name & number for the manufacturer who you spoke with. I got no help from the number I called.

Railsbackr 08-13-2011 04:24 AM

Can you please give me the email address. Who is your local contact? I have not found anyone where I live.