Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tin Lizzie owners, opinions please... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tin-lizzie-owners-opinions-please-t249221.html)

kiffie2413 06-28-2014 11:42 PM

Tin Lizzie owners, opinions please...

Hi all,
Found out about a sale on Tin Lizzie Empress 18" machine. New from Sewing Machines Plus, less than $3000.00. I've been debating a long arm for about 2 years. I have a Grace Gracie King frame, bought to use with my Brother 1500. But I've not tried it yet. I usually do my quilting on my Janome Horizon 7700, my Juki, or by hand.
If you have a TL, please give feedback. I've read some great things, and some terrible things.
Also that price makes me wonder if it is a good machine, as long arms are usually more than that..especially with a stitch regulator included.
Thanks,
K

PaperPrincess 06-29-2014 04:11 AM

I have a Tin Lizzie 18LS, not sure about the Empress model. I am actually pretty happy with the machine itself. Nice stitch, easy to set the tension and it will sew with any thread. I have had a lot of issues with the stitch regulators, so I just learned to work without them. It sounds like you are going to use your existing frame? I would verify with the Grace company that it is compatible. The machine is very heavy. I have a grace imperial frame and although the frame itself is very sturdy, the machine rides on plastic rails which need to be replaced because they have deteriorated. I have read it's because the machine is so heavy. You can easily get replacement rails, but the whole frame has to be entirely disassembled to install them. There is a Tin Lizzie Yahoo group that you can also check with.

kiffie2413 06-29-2014 08:16 PM

Thanks for the info.
I'm actually going to hold off for now.. I just don't know if I will truly use a la machine that much. And I'm trying to not be such an impulse buyer..
Regards,
Kif

nena 06-30-2014 04:38 AM

My stitch regulator has never worked. sent it back twice. Just gave up and use manual stitching. Other than paying for the stitch reg. and not having one. everything else is ok.

KathyLivingston 02-16-2016 04:35 AM

I bought the Machine for the same reason $ 2999 The Price I was told by TL that the Machine is being Discontinued. They are not making any more . 3 Months ago This Machine was $ 5000. They are trying to Get rid of them so They can come out with a New Machine and are clearing out the warehouse can not wait till my comes in.. also The Frame comes with Bungee and Leaders so Do not let the pull wool over your eyes about throwing it in for you thinking they are being Nice..

KathyLivingston 02-16-2016 06:42 AM

Here the code for sewing machine Plus I used it so i know it works..........250freemoney........ you will get $ 250.00 off anything you spend over 4500.00 I got the Tin Lizzie for $ 4297.95 with the 12 ft Phoenix Frame.

Gay 02-16-2016 03:06 PM

I have the Tin Lizzie 18LS and love her. No problems with the stitch regulater, but did have issues with skipping stitches, until I found out the encoders weren't heavy enough on the track and wouldn't turn. Being a 'bush mechanic' I fudged some changes, and all is well. I have an aluminium frame, but would rather have it on a table as opposed to the set-up I have now.