Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tiny little notion/hint worth it's weight in gold! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tiny-little-notion-hint-worth-its-weight-gold-t251720.html)

peaceandjoy 08-11-2014 04:42 PM

Tiny little notion/hint worth it's weight in gold!

I don't do a lot of hand sewing - generally, just when I turn the binding to the back and stitch it down. Today I am sewing a sleeve on a quilt to be entered in a quilt show. As I was having trouble with the thread, I decided to run it over the Thread Heaven I recently picked up.

Oh my gosh, it's not tangling at all!! It's Aurifil thread, my favorite, but it seemed to be tangling a lot, probably b/c it's from close to the spool and had a bit of a curl in it. As I'm just starting to be interested in hexies, I picked up the little container - it's only $3.50 - with a plan to use it for them when I have some time stuck in the car on long rides.

I'm a notions junkie, it's true, but will admit that often things don't work as advertised. This sure does, though!

Divokittysmom 08-11-2014 04:49 PM

I agree! I LOVE Thread Heaven! I discovered it many years ago when I was doing cross stitch. I use it all the time, it's fabulous!!

Jeanne S 08-11-2014 04:53 PM

Thanks for the tip. I have been using beeswax but it isn't great. Will try it!

Bree123 08-11-2014 05:09 PM

When you said "worth its weight in gold", I thought maybe you were going to sing the praises of the John James Gold 'n' Glide milliner needles. I picked up my first pack today & they are AMAZING! Make hand applique so much easier. The Gold 'n' Glide needles are awesome, though, because they are Teflon coated & slide through the fabric like a warm knife through butter. My thread does sometimes look like it's getting tangled, but I've yet to get an actual knot while stitching ... and that's saying something since I work with 36" of thread at a time (I know, I know. I should use half that amount). I definitely recommend trying these needles for anyone who does hand applique work! :)

I was looking at the Thread Heaven tool & wasn't sure about it. The lady at my LQS couldn't tell me anything about it, so I went with a simple beeswax & that worked fine for me, but now I want to try that Thread Heaven tool.

Onebyone 08-11-2014 05:42 PM

Thread Heaven is a great product. I was looking for mine just today and can't find it. It's so small it's too easy for me to lose. The stuff lasts forever too.

Doggramma 08-11-2014 05:45 PM

Thank you for reminding me. It sits in the drawer and I forget about it!

Quilty-Louise 08-11-2014 05:59 PM

I love Thread Heaven.

So much so that I have a container in EVERY hand project bag.

quiltingbuddy 08-11-2014 06:07 PM

I forget about it too and I could use it on a new EPP project. Thanks for the reminder!

Sewnoma 08-12-2014 05:37 AM

I've been using it and it's pretty good - I still get tangles but not NEARLY as much as I did without it. And a neat bonus; I noticed it's made not far from where I live!

I do have a question, though, for those of you who have used it for awhile....once it gets below the lip of the box, how on earth do you still run your thread through it?

tessagin 08-12-2014 05:49 AM

Maybe making trip to JoAnn's today!