Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tiny stitches...Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tiny-stitches-help-t221777.html)

true4uca 05-18-2013 03:50 PM

Tiny stitches...Help

Recently my machine has started hesitating at seams & sewing really tiny stitches. I've cleaned, changed threads & needles. Still have the problem. Is this a timing thing.

mike'sgirl 05-18-2013 03:53 PM

Is your machine computerized? It might help (if it is) to turn it off, then back on a readjust the stitch length. I really have no clue, but it's worth a try.

Vera39760 05-18-2013 04:03 PM

My old Bernina 930 does this sometime. Most of the time I have knocked the gear up that lengthens and shortens the stitch when I was wrestling with a large quilt. Another time I leaned over the machine and knocked the gear up. I need to tighten it a little more, but then I have a hard time loosening it to change my stitch length again.
I don't know if this will help.

EasyPeezy 05-18-2013 04:25 PM

What machine do you have? I have this problem on my Janome if I forgot to engage the acufeed.

dunster 05-18-2013 05:06 PM

Are the feed dogs up? They need to be up to move the fabric along.

nativetexan 05-18-2013 05:23 PM

have your feed dogs been cleaned? lint can really pack down in between them and that doesn't help them work well at all.

MaryStoaks 05-18-2013 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6071907)
have your feed dogs been cleaned? lint can really pack down in between them and that doesn't help them work well at all.

This was the problem with my Bernina. Now I check/clean them regularly.

snipforfun 05-18-2013 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 6071821)
What machine do you have? I have this problem on my Janome if I forgot to engage the acufeed.

If the problem with your Janome happens without using the AF, I suggest you see if the O2 foot fits your machine. I have the 6600. I was having problems with it hesitating at bulky intersections an seams. The O2 took care of the problem. The underside is different from the O foot.

JulieR 05-18-2013 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6071907)

This is my guess, too. Basically your feed dogs aren't doing the job they should be, so the first thing to check is that they aren't clogged up with lint.

Tartan 05-18-2013 08:32 PM

Check that your feed dogs are up and clean. Check to make sure the stitch length is set for bigger stitches. Check to make sure the thread is feeding properly.
Are the seams extra thick? Is this new occurrence or steadily getting worse? On my old Singer the feed dogs were not feeding as well as they could and I was able to make a cardboard gasket to go under them to raise them up a bit. This only works on older machines that have visible screws for removing the feed dogs. You may need to bring your machine in for a tune-up and new feed dogs?