Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tip for keeping blocks in order (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tip-keeping-blocks-order-t63036.html)

Annz 09-06-2010 05:21 PM

I think it is always a good idea to post useful hints on the board because there are always new and old quilters who can appreciate helpful hints from others. It is like always being able to ask questions when you don't know something and not having to feel embarrassed about asking. This is how we all learn and will continue to learn during our life time.

FQ Stash Queen 09-06-2010 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by SuziC
That's a good idea. I have been using post-it notes.

I use post it's also. The stack the blocks in rows (A, B, C) I don't like the wall board. Have an expensive one and have problems with fabric sticking to it. Also, the quilt I am working on now I wouldn't be able to take a picture of because the sides are fabric from the squares that you put with other blocks to mix it up, and I want to see the finished blocks before I choose the pattern for the sides. Otherwise, the picture sounds practical. Thanks for the idea.

3TreeFrog 09-07-2010 06:28 AM

You ladies all have such GREAT ideas! I am so happy to have found and become a member of this forum!

TreeFrog

Quilting Nana 09-07-2010 07:13 AM

Love all the great ideas.
Thank you to all

rosalia856 09-07-2010 09:32 AM

I found these neat flexiable plastic square that keep each row and block number . Example Row 1 Block 1 Row 1 Block 2 etc you can mark 7 rows and 7 blocks across. They have a hole in the center and you just push the material through with you finder and place the pin which keeps it in place. And I think that Fons and Porter have a similar system. I love mine. I am sorry that I don't know who makes them. But I do love the photo idea too

CAKELSEY 09-07-2010 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by laureneberhard
I use flat head flower pins and use a sharpie and write numbers on the head and pin to each block. Very easy to pull out all the pins when I'm done. (Yes, there are already numbered pins out there, but I think they are way too expensive)

I did the same thing. Worked great.

Gerbie 09-07-2010 11:45 AM

I also use my digital camera to take pic. of the quilt layout. I particularly like doing this when I am working on a large quilt and want to make a certain pattern, star, etc. I have been doing this for some time now. I can look through the camera and see where some errors are before I snap the photo. This is so handy when you aren't just sure how you want to arrange the blocks, and especially if you have to pick them up a work on them later. I have also numbered them along with the pic. works as good as a design wall.

elizabeth 09-07-2010 06:41 PM

I use the little sticky dots that you use for pricing garage sale items. They come in bright colors. I always put the dot on the upper left side. If it is a complicated layout, I put a dot on each block where the seam will meet.

zz-pd 09-08-2010 01:37 AM

Thank you all for the tips. God bless.