Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tip-toe-through-hexagons-cutie-style-layout-etc-t36954.html)

mimisharon 01-13-2011 04:38 AM

The one piece of advice I have on this wonderful tute is to starch, starch, starch. Handle as little as possible and starch.

I'm working on finishing my original now. Have a friend that's really wanting it. Will post when I get it finished, my friend.

deranged_damsel 01-13-2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by mimisharon
The one piece of advice I have on this wonderful tute is to starch, starch, starch. Handle as little as possible and starch.

I'm working on finishing my original now. Have a friend that's really wanting it. Will post when I get it finished, my friend.

YES! and double check everything, you DONT want to have to unpick!

AnngelAnne 01-19-2011 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Panther Creek Quilting
I am still sewing hexagons, but i vote for a straight edge border, with a few that lap over in the border.

Sheila

okay so after you sew the hexagon, how do you make the rest of the block so it all comes out square with the hexagon in the middle

cutebuns 01-19-2011 11:54 AM

The blocks are not square. They stay hexagon. You could make then square if you wanted but the OBW uses them as hexagon. To make the top square you either add pieces along the side or cut the points off of two edges. You only use half the block on the other two making it flat or add half blocks of the border fabric.

omak 01-19-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
The blocks are not square. They stay hexagon. You could make then square if you wanted but the OBW uses them as hexagon. To make the top square you either add pieces along the side or cut the points off of two edges. You only use half the block on the other two making it flat or add half blocks of the border fabric.

In other words? You mean we had best get really good at sewing "Y" seams? <wave>

cutebuns 01-19-2011 03:19 PM

There is no y seams. The block get left in half. And in that they get sewn in strips and the strips get sewn together.

mimisharon 01-19-2011 03:26 PM

Yeah, it's easier than any Y seam. Forget about them!

watson's mom 01-19-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
There is no y seams. The block get left in half. And in that they get sewn in strips and the strips get sewn together.

I have not started my OBW yet but I do have to say this is one of the best tuts that I have seen. Very easy to undrstand and tons of info and instructions. Thank you cutebuns for taking the time to do this for us.

cutebuns 01-19-2011 08:38 PM

Thank you. I enjoyed doing it. I have seen so many works of art come out of it. It was worth every minute I spent on it.

Bluelady 01-20-2011 06:01 PM

TG no Y seams! It is such an easy block/quilt to make. Just doesn't look like it!