Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   tips of broken sewing machine needles? where do they go and will they hurt my machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tips-broken-sewing-machine-needles-where-do-they-go-will-they-hurt-my-machine-t144054.html)

greenini 08-10-2011 05:30 AM

I can't be the only one to worry about this. I'm doing a project on my Bernina QE153 and I'm breaking a lot of needles. I'm going to switch to a machine I don't care about so much that is more heavy duty, but I cleaned the nina out, got rid of the dust balls, and changed the needle...all those things you do. But I can't find the broken tip and I've turned her upside and shook it, don't hear anything...so is the needle tip in the project? Do I need to take her in to get it tuned up and checked? Or am I ok to not worry about it? Thanks.....

Lacelady 08-10-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
I can't be the only one to worry about this. I'm doing a project on my Bernina QE153 and I'm breaking a lot of needles. I'm going to switch to a machine I don't care about so much that is more heavy duty, but I cleaned the nina out, got rid of the dust balls, and changed the needle...all those things you do. But I can't find the broken tip and I've turned her upside and shook it, don't hear anything...so is the needle tip in the project? Do I need to take her in to get it tuned up and checked? Or am I ok to not worry about it? Thanks.....

You could try a magnet - I know we are not supposed to put them near the machine, but that is meant for the 'works' at the top and in the pillar, I believe, as I have a 730 that does machine embroidery, and I use magnets in the hoops that the manufacturers assured me would do no harm.

It's quite possible that needle tip is somewhere on the floor, and nowhere near your machine at this stage.

janedee 08-10-2011 06:56 AM

each time I've lost a tip it has been in the fabric !!!!

MellieKQuilter 08-10-2011 07:06 AM

Mine end up everywhere! :shock: Once, I looked and looked for a piece and it was on the floor! Now how the heck did it get there??

Nanamoms 08-10-2011 08:32 AM

Know the feeling. When one breaks on my embroidery machine, I panic and look everywhere. I swear sometimes they just disappear into the abyss!!

Jamiestitcher62 08-10-2011 10:39 AM

Mine usually end up at the bottom of the sewing machine, I can hear them rattling around. I guess as long as they aren't stuck in the working parts, I don't care. I used to have them removed, but I don't anymore, they don't hurt anything.

loves_2_quilt 08-10-2011 11:53 AM

Same here. I keep an over the counter allergy medicine bottle in my sewing room to put broken or bent needles or pins in. I call it pin and needle heaven. When it is full I put the lid on very tight and throw in trash. No more worry that someone will get hurt on them.

Originally Posted by janedee
each time I've lost a tip it has been in the fabric !!!!

greenini 08-10-2011 02:57 PM

I shook the machine, even turned it on it's side so it's not down in the bottom, I almost would feel better if it were, then I'd know it's not in any gears where it can cause mischief!