Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tips for invisible thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tips-invisible-thread-t310688.html)

rinchan314 04-22-2020 01:18 PM

Tips for invisible thread?

Beginner here. I'm working on my first queen-size quilt, using a bunch of different shades and patterns of blue. I figured it would be easiest to use invisible thread so I don't take away from how nice all the colors already look together.

​​​​But this stuff is giving me fits!

First I tried Dritz "quilting thrrad"." It was nylon, .004. It was constantly breaking and tangling. I could barely touch it without a bunch of thread popping off the spool and tangling. All the extra thread would wrap around the machine, get stuck somewhere, and snap. Finally it got so tangled I couldn't use it anymore, so I threw it away and bought something new.

Now I'm using Sulky brand polyester, .004. This is the stuff my quilting book recommends. It is marginally better than the Dritz, but still driving me crazy. It's so fine. I guess that's good in terms of invisibility, but it's like my machine can't hang on to it. Half the time I start stitching to find it's pulled itself out of the needle on the first stitch, even if I hang onto it. It also doesn't like to feed itself. No matter which way I set the thread, it has a hard time pulling it off the spool. It's also driving my tension crazy. I've played with tension every which way and the only thing I can do to keep the tension balanced is to manually unwind the spool with my hand every few stitches. Otherwise it'll either start pulling the bobbin thread up top or it'll just stop feeding thread. I have tried using this thread in the bobbin but it will not wind, so I am using white cotton thread on the bottom.

I know there's got to be a way to do this, or people wouldn't use this thread in the first place. What am I missing? What's the trick?

glasqlts 04-22-2020 01:45 PM

I like the Superior brand mono, my machine hasn't complained about it at all! I only use it in the top and a match color in the bobbin.

DJ 04-22-2020 01:49 PM

I've had my share of go-rounds with monofilament thread also. The primary reason I don't use it for more of my quilts and other projects, though, is because of the feel. It just doesn't have the soft hand feel that other threads have. I don't seem to have quite the problems with it that you are experiencing, however. I find that I need to slow my machine speed way down when using it. Also when cutting the thread at the end of stitching, I need to have the thread with no tension on it or it will snap back. It does often come unthreaded or wound around the thread spool holder and then, of course, won't feed properly.

Truthfully, you should probably find a neutral color thread to use. Gray often works quite well.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Will watch for other advice you may get.

LAF2019 04-22-2020 02:08 PM

I am no needle/thread expert, as i typically just use whatever is accessible at the time. however, I just looked at my spool of monofilament (Sulky .004) and it says to use 75-90 top stitch needle. I use mine without a problem with just the standard/universal needle, but maybe your machine would cooperate better with the "right" needle?

Jingle 04-22-2020 02:59 PM

I have lots of it. I haven't used it for years. I make donation quilts for kids now and I just use regular thread or machine quilting thread.

Jaiade 04-22-2020 03:24 PM

I have never used the brands you are using but I have used it on DM and a longarm and on both the tension needs to be very
loose
. And when you pull the thread though the needle the thread should not curl at all when you release it.. If it does, loosen the tension some more. I will say I did not quilt on the DM, I did applique; but on the longarm the main key was very very loose tension. As I said, I did not use the same brands as you, but it might help.

And go slow!!!

Rhonda K 04-22-2020 03:31 PM

That thread can be an adventure for sure. I admire that you want to quilt a whole quit with it. Nylon thread will melt so you want to use a mono-poly for invisible. A thread stand will help prevent kinks and twists which cause breakage.

You may want to try a variegated thread in blue or something that blends with the fabrics. Good luck!

Elise1 04-22-2020 03:31 PM

I like YLI invisible thread on top and cotton thread in the bobbin. I match the bobbin thread color to the back of the quilt.

It works well for me.

CanoePam 04-22-2020 05:03 PM

I have used the Superior polyester invisible, and, like others said, I had to loosen the tension a lot. Stay away from nylon since it melts wayyyy too easily.

Phyllis nm 04-22-2020 08:45 PM

I bought knee high hose, cut the top and toe off for thread cones to tame the thread coming off the spool.