Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tips for making small blocks/mini quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tips-making-small-blocks-mini-quilts-t310408.html)

TAMARATJO 04-01-2020 05:56 AM

Tips for making small blocks/mini quilts?

I decided to try making a smaller block size to create a wall hanging rather than a quilt. The block size went from 12" to 6", but some of the sub units for the blocks are 1" finished size. I know there are talented quilters who make mini quilts with much smaller blocks. So I am looking to those of you with those skills to ask if there are any special hints, tricks, etc. that you use when making the tiny blocks/units. Thanks!

Tartan 04-01-2020 06:30 AM

True miniatures are usually sewn with 1/8 inch seam allowances rather then 1/4 inch.

Iceblossom 04-01-2020 06:56 AM

I never did much small stuff but I had friends who were amazing. With that smaller seam allowance means a nice tight weave fabric. You also have to look at scale of fabric much more carefully and/or fussy cut.

Many of the techniques I've learned about "sewing large and trimming down" came from a lady who did miniatures. She loved silk thread for the fineness and the colors and used it in both her hand applique and I believe her machine miniature stitching, but I'm not certain on that. I wasn't too interested in needle sizes and types back then.

That lady had a special little ironing tool back before those were commonly sold in fabric stores. From what I recall the head was very triangular and it had to be set in a stand. It wasn't quite a wood burning tool but more along those lines -- nice that there are more options now. She made a special little ironing board too, had two sides one was an aida cloth so she could count the stitches... and the other side was "boiled flannel" if I recall, the fuzzy helped her position things.

I type well but often feel fumble-fingered when I'm trying to do handwork, I think you need the same tactile and dexterity for miniature sewing as you do for handwork but maybe not.

sewingpup 04-01-2020 07:12 AM

HI,

I think some folks press their seams open to cut down on the bulk...using a finer thread like Aurifil or silk helps....and also...using a smaller stitch length helps to keep the little pieces from coming undone....I usually set my stitch length to 1.8 or 1.6 on my bernina when doing the Bonnie Hunter mysteries cuz of all the small pieces.....

juliasb 04-01-2020 07:52 AM

Pressing and ironing all the time for me is the key. Each piece must have very special attention given and setting them along side one another before stitching is very important. There is not much forgiveness in smaller pieces.

SusieQOH 04-01-2020 08:02 AM

Your post is so timely!

Leah Day has a new thing on Youtube called Mini Monday and she walks you through making them.

Barb in Louisiana 04-01-2020 08:02 AM

If you really want to learn a lot about sewing with tiny pieces, there is a website that is doing a bed size quilt as miniature blocks. https://kathrynkerr.com/ You have to sign up for the 365 quilt. The quilts that have been made by many across the globe are incredible. I am collecting the patterns but not sewing yet and don't know if I ever will. She starts with simple blocks and works up to some very elaborate ones with 1/2" pieces. She has said the patterns will be available for 3 months at a time.

quilting cat 04-01-2020 11:10 AM

Some very small blocks can be paper pieced. I like the accuracy of doing them that way.

oksewglad 04-01-2020 12:37 PM

I have made miniatures for years. I don't like to use 1/8" seam allowance..too hard to get accurate IMHO. At first I pressed to the side, but am more apt to press open now. Often depends on the pattern I am making. I use a regular iron. juliasb advice is spot on...press as you go. Personally I don't like to PP, but when in a pinch I have.

Peckish 04-01-2020 12:54 PM

I've made several miniatures, I think my favorite was a dollhouse quilt. The whole finished quilt was 5 inches and had 4 basket blocks in it, plus borders. I also made a feathered star, I think it finished at 5 or 6 inches, it was pretty challenging.

My tip is to paper-piece it, but instead of stitching through the paper, fold on the line and stitch right next to the line. Also, use a fine 60 wt thread like Bottom Line. It will take up less room in your seam.