Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tips for a Singer 4423 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tips-singer-4423-a-t284829.html)

Jessof4 12-30-2016 12:47 PM

Tips for a Singer 4423

Just bought this machine from Joann's due to their 30% off sale going on :D. Absolutely new to Singer brand and was wanting to hear all of your tips on this brand and model. Thanks for the shares in advance. :)

Maggie_Sue 12-30-2016 03:49 PM

Sorry I do not have a singer, but I am sure someone will chime in, welcome to QB!!

ragamuffin 12-30-2016 06:06 PM

I would suggest you write this message in the machine collector/help unit on this site. Some of them have hundreds of machines and know how they work, even can help you with a problem you may have.

tuckyquilter 12-30-2016 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jessof4 (Post 7729224)
Just bought this machine from Joann's due to their 30% off sale going on :D. Absolutely new to Singer brand and was wanting to hear all of your tips on this brand and model. Thanks for the shares in advance. :)

Welcome to the Board.
I have four Singer sewing machines. Newest is 1967 Touch & Sew 600, oldest is a 1910 Redeye Treadle, and 2, 401A's made it the 1950's. I can't speak for the plastic models, but my old ones sew like dreams, perfect tension, perfect stitches, very reliable. I can sew thorough almost anything, and multiple layers too. I think the main thing about any machine is to keep it oiled and cleaned out. I also have a 9 yr old cheaper, small Janome which doesn't hold a candle to any of my really old Singers. Hopefully they are still quality machines.

Kas 12-31-2016 04:14 PM

I haven't bought a new singer since 1996. It was just awful!!! The whole bobbin case would jump out of the machine when I was doing decorative stitches on mine. It cost me $50 to have it repaired each time! Traded it in for a Pfaff. I'm sure they have improved their quality since then. Just know that it probably won't last forever like the old Singers. The gears are made of plastic and the machine is designed to be disposable. It would cost more to have repaired than to buy another new one. Sorry to be a downer! On the bright side, it should sew a decent seam and be a good utilitarian machine. Does it have a "needle down" function? That is very helpful but not necessary for quilting. Sew with it for awhile and then give us a review. I would hate to judge the machine on my past experiences!

pocoellie 01-01-2017 07:48 AM

I'm sorry I can't help you, but I wouldn't have any NEW model of Singer, an old one, definitely.

Wintersewer 01-01-2017 11:00 AM

I agree, new Singers tend to be junk. My friend brought two of them over, her husband had gotten them at garage sales. I could not believe the amount of plastic in them. I had no idea that so many parts could be made of plastic. They did not sew properly and I told her they are not worth fixing.

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 7730607)
I'm sorry I can't help you, but I wouldn't have any NEW model of Singer, an old one, definitely.

Jessof4 01-23-2017 09:53 AM

Thank you ladies for your feedback. :thumbup:

ana1191 01-23-2017 10:08 AM

I don't own this machine, but I read some reviews and they were positive. I would read the owners manual to become familiar with all the features and functions. Enjoy your new machine.

NZquilter 01-23-2017 02:02 PM

I hope you have good luck with your singer 4423. I had one which I bought hoping it would last me forever. It worked great for the first couple of years. But then, liturally out of the blue, it started acting up. I hadn't even quite done 10 projects on it. The tension was always off for FMQ and it would often skip stitches. It was driving me crazy. I took it in for a service and that still didn't fix the problems. I ended up getting a Brother to replace it. I agree with what was already stated, I will never buy another NEW singer. Even the repairman told me that nowadays they are made to only last a few years, and the name "Heavy Duty" doesn't mean anything. But I wish you the best with it!