Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tips for using fusible batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tips-using-fusible-batting-t101454.html)

Lilrain 02-20-2011 01:29 PM

It seems as though every time I use fusible batting I get tucks or wrinkles in the back. Anyone have any suggestions for how to avoid that? I am only using it on small projects like table runners

amma 02-20-2011 01:42 PM

Maybe try pinning the fabric to the ironing surface, stretched slightly? like you do with regular basting? :D:D:D

Lilrain 02-20-2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Maybe try pinning the fabric to the ironing surface, stretched slightly? like you do with regular basting? :D:D:D

A very good idea I had not thought of. i love this board for all the brains that work when mine isn't

NanaCsews2 02-20-2011 01:56 PM

Do you let the batting relax after taking it out of the bag, or if you buy yardage, do you spread it out and let it sit a day or two? Here's how I put quilts and runners together: I have a new king sized flat sheet that I lay flat over 3 lined up rectangle tables. Pulling each corner taut, I secure the corners to the table legs by wrapping them with cording. Then, when I am laying out the quilt, I lay out each layer, pinning along all edges of the quilt to the sheet. As I add a layer, I am constantly smoothing out from the center toward the edges. Then, I remove the pin from the previous layer and re-pin to the sheet, including the newly added top layer each time. Once all layers are together, I add several quilting safety pins throughout the quilt. I remove the pins from the sheet attached to the table, and then place thin slats along the edges of the quilt and clamp the table and the slat. I leave it sit for a day or two. As long as I place many quilt safety pins throughout the quilt, I dont have a problem with puckering. And letting the batting rest I haven't noticed any wrinkling in between the backing and quilt top. Doing all this may sound like work, but I cannot put together a quilt on the floor anymore as I don't want to depend on my DH to come give me a hand to get up again...achy hip joints and muscles. I hope you find a solution that works for you-good luck!

Lilrain 02-20-2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by sweetp2dt
Do you let the batting relax after taking it out of the bag, or if you buy yardage, do you spread it out and let it sit a day or two? Here's how I put quilts and runners together: I have a new king sized flat sheet that I lay flat over 3 lined up rectangle tables. Pulling each corner taut, I secure the corners to the table legs by wrapping them with cording. Then, when I am laying out the quilt, I lay out each layer, pinning along all edges of the quilt to the sheet. As I add a layer, I am constantly smoothing out from the center toward the edges. Then, I remove the pin from the previous layer and re-pin to the sheet, including the newly added top layer each time. Once all layers are together, I add several quilting safety pins throughout the quilt. I remove the pins from the sheet attached to the table, and then place thin slats along the edges of the quilt and clamp the table and the slat. I leave it sit for a day or two. As long as I place many quilt safety pins throughout the quilt, I dont have a problem with puckering. And letting the batting rest I haven't noticed any wrinkling in between the backing and quilt top. Doing all this may sound like work, but I cannot put together a quilt on the floor anymore as I don't want to depend on my DH to come give me a hand to get up again...achy hip joints and muscles. I hope you find a solution that works for you-good luck!

I will most certainly try this for larger projects. thank you

nativetexan 02-20-2011 02:25 PM

I press it on the front top first, then turn over and smooth the backing and press that. steam that time.

candi 02-20-2011 02:39 PM

I just finished quilting a 30" square wallhanging using Mountain Mist fusible batting, I had no problems at all with puckers or wrinkles...this time. I did tape one third of the backing snug on my ironing board, smoothed the batting on top of it and then added the top and pressed, once the part on the ironing board was smooth and fused, I moved to the 2nd third, taped and repeated. Once it was all fused, I add pin the outer corners to keep it from shifting. Worked well.

And as another poster suggested, I do let my batting "relax" before sandwiching, I pull out of the baf and spread it on the table/bed the night before I sandwich it.

Hope this helps! It does take patience, lol.

Queen Deb 02-20-2011 02:41 PM

I think a key to getting smooth fabric is to press... straight up and down... not ironing.

Lilrain 02-20-2011 04:06 PM

I took Amma's advice and it worked perfectly. Wow, I was getting so frustrated.

LivelyLady 02-20-2011 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by amma

I've had that same problem but will definitely try your great idea...thanks :)