Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tired-infamous-eye-roll-so-im-going-try-out-guild-t248066.html)

Butterfli19 06-07-2014 09:28 AM

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

A co-worker asked me what I was doing this weekend, and I said that today I was going to stay home, clean, and hopefully sew and tomorrow I was going to JoAnn's with my gs to pick out a pattern and fabric to make him summer pj's.

"OHHHHHH...." he says, looking around, "that's sounds like FUN <eyeroll>" lol

So I've decided I need to be with real people who get excited about fabric and buying new things like clear rulers or who can share my enthusiasm when I learn a new technique, or have that light bulb moment.

I emailed my neighbor who used to belong to a local guild, and who I went with a few years ago but for reasons I don't remember, I stopped going. Hopefully she doesn't hold that against me. :)

Unless people sew, I can't mention it because they sort of don't want me to keep talking about it, like I've just told them I dropped a house on that witch in accounting, lol. I guess to be exciting I should be running races or remodeling my house or slaying dragons or something.

Terri D. 06-07-2014 09:30 AM

Yeah, I've never understood the old saying "opposites attract." I always seem to have the most fun with my quilting friends.

omacookie 06-07-2014 09:31 AM

Join a quilt guild and get some new friends that know what a fat quarter is. Our lingo is like a foreign language to the average person. Thanks

Dina 06-07-2014 09:35 AM

Or spend more time here! We all speak the lingo!

GingerK 06-07-2014 09:58 AM

Yes, I know what you mean. Thank goodness a couple of my co-workers actually know how to thread a needle, but I am also seriously thinking about checking out the local guild.

Stitchnripper 06-07-2014 10:11 AM

Mostly opposite here. People seem fascinated that I have multiple sewing machines and quilt and make purses. Sometimes they are very forward and ask for something. But I am very good at saying no. I tell them there are you tube videos so they can learn themselves. When I go to garage sales on my quest for the next vintage machine I'm usually getting questions and some comments about a grandmother or auntie who quilted.

KalamaQuilts 06-07-2014 10:37 AM

I think the stealth eyeroll is common sight to anyone with a passion for something.
I try not to do it with Rob's fly fishing, but I know my eyes get glassy :)
A good friend builds gorgeous dolls. Snore...

ManiacQuilter2 06-07-2014 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 6748880)
Or spend more time here! We all speak the lingo!

I SO agree with Dina. I have found two groups of quilters and I like the activities that they do. I don't particularly like the way groups form but one of the groups have embraced me.

letawellman 06-07-2014 11:46 AM

I guess that makes me most fortunate.
Well, with 1600 employees, it's not really surprising that there are another 4-5 quilters at work. Not only that, but one of them has a long arm (as do I). I don't get the eyeroll when I hang my quilts over my cubicle wall, I get "ooohhhh!!!" and "aaaahhhhh!!", and then "OUCH!" (the last is their response when I answer their question of "How much?")

Onebyone 06-07-2014 11:56 AM

I don't say too much about my quilting if someone asks what I like to do. I have to listen to them telling me about the REAL quilts their grandmother made by hand, weaving the fabric, and growing the cotton. LOL. Nothing new seems to be as good. They think any old quilt or machine they have is worth a fortune too.