Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tired of repeating the same block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tired-repeating-same-block-t253096.html)

DogHouseMom 09-05-2014 10:46 AM

I love making new blocks!! Meaning ... different blocks. That is why I enjoyed the boomerang groups that I belonged to so much (not to mention the great variety of scraps I was able to accumulate).

Making 1 block then moving on to a completely different block is my favorite thing. Which is why I will be starting a Dear Jane very soon. You might want to consider this if variety is your spice of life.

That said, I DO have a large project going that is a repeat of two different blocks - 110 of one and 111 of another. I've completed all of one block and am perhaps 20% done with the other block. At times I need the monotony of "keep making the same block" and I make a ton of them. Then I get bored and move on to something else.

needles3thread 09-05-2014 11:46 AM

How about making a sampler quilt?

Jackie Spencer 09-05-2014 12:34 PM

I just love to make quilts. If I like a pattern I will make it. Sometimes there are a lot of blocks that are the same, sometimes not. I just finished Sue Garmons Afternoon Delight and before that her " Oh my gosh " quilt. I hardly ever make the same pattern twice.

dcamarote 09-05-2014 12:37 PM

Funny that you should post this. I just finished a charity quilt that is a quilt of valor. I also was tired of doing the same old things so I made a Sampler Quilt of Valor. Well, it turned out so beautiful and I enjoyed the opportunity to try and tackle new blocks. It has a total of 12 and they are all different. Some of them were difficult for me but I enjoyed the challenge. Try that and see if it helps.

Terri D. 09-05-2014 01:32 PM

When I run across a pattern like that, I go scrappy. Different fabrics reduce the eye fatigue you'd suffer by making every block with the same fabrics. It really does help!

Lori S 09-05-2014 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Terri D. (Post 6875978)
When I run across a pattern like that, I go scrappy. Different fabrics reduce the eye fatigue you'd suffer by making every block with the same fabrics. It really does help!

I do the same , scrappy really does help get through lots of the same block.

bearisgray 09-05-2014 01:35 PM

I make parts of blocks at one time - so I'm not doing 48 or whatever of one thing at a time.

Of course, that makes the process messier - but it eventually gets done.

Mdegenhart 09-05-2014 01:37 PM

I found that working on a quilt with lots of the same block was a great exercise in working on my accuracy since I haven't been doing this very long.

katybob 09-05-2014 02:17 PM

That's exactly why I've made two Dear Janes and am working on a third. I've been making a modified log cabin for the last few weeks and it helps to stop making that same block over and over and make a Dear Jane block or two.

ube quilting 09-05-2014 02:33 PM

I would also suggest tying a scrappy quilt. A spider web is a great way to use hundreds of fabrics and never feel like you made the same block twice.

A scrappy Jacobs Ladder is another awesome scrap quilt. It might be made from HSTs but when every one of them is different, I never get tired of choosing fabric for the simple block.

Barn Raising is another HST block but with many fabrics it never gets tired.

When I make these scrappy quilts I work one block at a time and just keep adding to the design board untill it is as big as I want. Then I sew them all together.
peace