Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Today's Challenge Ladies & Gents! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/todays-challenge-ladies-gents-t224662.html)

Cybrarian 06-27-2013 03:31 PM

Today's Challenge Ladies & Gents!

My DGS' s Mom has asked me to make a specific bag for her Mom who has COPD. She has reached the stage where she needs to keep her oxygen on when she is out anywhere. She is reluctant to do this so the hope is that an attractive bag will make this adjustment a little easier. The idea is to have a 2 section bag. The section closest to the body would have a pocket or be only wide enough to hold a single small oxygen canister upright. Then a section-maybe half the size of the first- that would hold mainly a wallet, glasses and keys. I also want to put an outside pocket for a water bottle. I'm all about not reinventing the wheel so if someone can point me to a pattern or picture of something similar I would be very grateful. I will figure something out, I've made several bags, but haven't designed any or needed to make one with such specific needs. It needs to be as compact as possible and I want the length of the straps to make it so her hand can slip under the bottom to take the weight off her shoulder when needed. She is going to measure the circumference and length of the canister and I have to allow for the additional tubing that will need to be stored in the pocket or section where the canister will be. This is probably "clear as mud",sorry, but any help or inspiration is greatly appreciated!

Pinkiris 06-27-2013 03:48 PM

I would start by measuring the oxygen tank and figure out what size that pocket needs to be. Then think about the size you want the other pocket for wallet, keys, tubing, etc. You might want to consider making a cross-body bag (maybe called a messenger bag?) so that she doesn't have to keep a hand under the pouch to support the tank. Try googling "messenger bag" for the general idea.

If you really don't want to reinvent the wheel, how about starting with one of the $1 grocery bags that stores sell and decorate it for her. They certainly would be strong enough if they are large enough.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

PaperPrincess 06-27-2013 03:49 PM

Don't have a pattern, but if you put "oxygen tank tote bags" into google, there are numerous hits, including at least 2 sites that seem to specialize in this item. Should give you some visual queues.

Cybrarian 06-27-2013 04:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm on it!

eparys 06-28-2013 07:00 AM

These O2 tanks can be heavy - depending on the size bottle she has. My Mom was on O2 and the really small bottle which she could easily carry in her hand only lasted her a short journey while the larger bottles were hard for her. I found this site

http://maidenjane.blogspot.com/2013/...-and-yoga.html

which had a cute design - and the straps were long enough to carry over the shoulder. Good luck - I do remember how important it was to her to be able to get out and about. An other thought is to create a really cute "backpack" type if she could tolerate carrying it on her back. Good luck with your design

GrannieAnnie 06-28-2013 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris (Post 6147326)
I would start by measuring the oxygen tank and figure out what size that pocket needs to be. Then think about the size you want the other pocket for wallet, keys, tubing, etc. You might want to consider making a cross-body bag (maybe called a messenger bag?) so that she doesn't have to keep a hand under the pouch to support the tank. Try googling "messenger bag" for the general idea.

If you really don't want to reinvent the wheel, how about starting with one of the $1 grocery bags that stores sell and decorate it for her. They certainly would be strong enough if they are large enough.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I'd not fool with a bought en grocery bag---------they split too easily.

You can add a substantial loop for clipping on keys. always handy. I'd also make a separte bag for the water so the bottle isn't dripping sweat on something important