Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too many Tops? No way! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-many-tops-no-way-t160083.html)

atbquilts 10-13-2011 05:09 AM

I used to feel guilty about a cupboard full of pieced tops that were waiting to be quilted and bound. I quit feeling guilty when my daughter began planning her wedding. My mother went to her cupboard and brought out a quilt top that had been pieced by my Grandmother. I was in awe when my mother told me that she had at least 20 tops that had been left behind when my Grandmother passed.
Now almost twenty years later - each of my children and each of my siblings children have been the recipients of one of Great-Grandma Leavitt's wedding quilts. And it didn't end there. I have also been able to wrap some of my newborn grandchildren in one of these treasures. Yes - that means that 5 generations have felt her love!
Sadly, there are no more Great-Grandma Leavitt quilt tops left in the cupboard. But I have decided to start a new 'quilt top cupboard' of my own so my Great-Great-Grandchildren will be able to feel my love clear across the next 5 generations.

arkansasquilter123 10-13-2011 05:11 AM

That is awesome.....I had to beg for one of my grandmother's quilts...and I got the "least pretty" one. But I love it dearly.

PaperPrincess 10-13-2011 05:15 AM

Wonderful story!
As for stacks of tops in general, I love the entire quilting process, so creating the top or finished quilt is it's own reward. Other folks who have more active hobbies, like golf, spend lots of money, have the same recreational outlet, but they just don't have a product at the end. They don't feel guilty so why should we?

Zhillslady 10-13-2011 05:17 AM

Wow that is awesome. I am the only quilter in my family and my DD and SIL have decided to pass on children. What a legacy you will leave.

jaciqltznok 10-13-2011 05:24 AM

sadly my cupboard is empty this year...but I do love to keep a dozen or so general tops on hand for last minute raffle items, emergency HUGS, you name it! I really need to get sewing this winter!

Maia B 10-13-2011 05:24 AM

I agree, tops are wealth :)

Judith1005 10-13-2011 05:25 AM

that is so sweet. :D

DonnaC 10-13-2011 05:29 AM

What a sweet story. I don't come from a long line of quilters/crafters, but I do have my grandmother's sewing box and some of her old buttons. She (my dad's mother) did mostly just mending and utilitarian things. My mom's mother was a crocheter who could make beautiful doilies without a pattern, and we still have many of those.

Glassquilt 10-13-2011 05:34 AM

How fortunate that your mom kept them. One can only hope that the our tops are appreciated as much.

just_the_scraps_m'am 10-13-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Wonderful story!
As for stacks of tops in general, I love the entire quilting process, so creating the top or finished quilt is it's own reward. Other folks who have more active hobbies, like golf, spend lots of money, have the same recreational outlet, but they just don't have a product at the end. They don't feel guilty so why should we?

that's a great point--never looked at it that way

you can never have too many tops & what great heirlooms you've created