Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too Much Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-much-batting-t27576.html)

CanadianLoon 10-24-2009 06:53 AM

My girlfriend and I (newbies) have a large amount of left-over batting.
Is it advisable to sew the pieces together or would this ruin a quilt?
Opinions would be appreciated. Thx

amma 10-24-2009 07:03 AM

Butt the pieces up to each other and zig zag them together...they should lay flat this way... I believe that the quilting would hold it together... I don't know how well this would work on poly battings, though.

justwannaquilt 10-24-2009 09:24 AM

I do just like Amma said and butt the two ends togther and then do a WIDE zig zag to hold them togehter. I have never had a problem doing it this way but, I have only ever done this with Warm and Natural so....

I also use cut off pieces for things like table runners and decorative stuff!

Lacelady 10-24-2009 09:55 AM

It works with Poly batting to, 'cos I've done it. I used to do it all the time with the strips left over after quilting. I couldn't bring myself to throw them all away, so they got sewn together. I don't use a wide zig zag, I have one that looks like a zig zag on the diagram, but uses three or four stitches on each zig or zag. Does that make sense?

Pam S 10-24-2009 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
It works with Poly batting to, 'cos I've done it. I used to do it all the time with the strips left over after quilting. I couldn't bring myself to throw them all away, so they got sewn together. I don't use a wide zig zag, I have one that looks like a zig zag on the diagram, but uses three or four stitches on each zig or zag. Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense. My machine calls that a "3 step elastic zig zag" and says it's for overcasting edges and sewing on elastic but it makes sense for joining edges too and I'll have to try it. I have done this with a wide zig zag but Lacelady's method sounds like it would be even less likely to pull apart. I always felt that once it was quilted it wasn't going to move around much and come apart.

littlehud 10-24-2009 01:20 PM

I use leftover batting for my wall hangings. Just butt it together and it works great.

Pzazz 10-24-2009 01:24 PM

I love this board!!! Sometimes questions get answered before you even ask them. hehehe I have wondered the same thing...if pieces can be joined. And my machine also has the swing stitch....mine takes 4 to each side, so I shall try that.

Eddie 10-24-2009 01:26 PM

I piece batting all the time because I buy it on a 44" wide bolt and have to piece together at least 2 pieces to make a quilt. I started out sewing the pieces together, but I saw a post from someone here on the QB about using fusible interfacing to piece them together and have been using that ever since. I really like it a lot better because it's faster to me and I always seemed to have trouble sewing the two pieces together with a zigzag because the right side would always creep forward more than the left side when sewing. When using the fusible interfacing, I just cut off a strip about 1.5" wide and iron it across the seam. I only need it on one side just to hold the pieces together until I quilt it.

Barbm 10-24-2009 01:28 PM

that's a great tip Eddie. Thanks for sharing! Sounds more time saving too.

barnbum 10-24-2009 02:21 PM

Interesting. I was cutting hundreds of 5.75" squares and 2.75" x 5.75" rectangles from leftover batting for ragged flannels today...never thought to sew pieces together. I buy it 90"+ in width though--and my quilter uses what she has--wider W+N--when she has my tops.