Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too Much Quilting Caused Trigger finger (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-much-quilting-caused-trigger-finger-t185619.html)

momto5 04-10-2012 04:22 PM

I had trigger finger and ended up having to have surgery...not a bad surgery, just limiting for a few days. No problems since and that was about 6-7 years ago. Good Luck!

noveltyjunkie 04-10-2012 04:29 PM

My mother needed surgery for this also. Take care of your health and do not overdo things. Your body is telling you to rest, or at least to exert yourself differently.

sahm4605 04-10-2012 04:48 PM

have you thought about a paraffin bath? the are supposed to be good for achy hands and feet and make your skin super soft.

Jingle 04-10-2012 05:37 PM

I had a trigger finger, left ring finger. I just stretching my hand while wiggling my fingers, just kept going and it has been gone for a long time. Much easier than surgery.

lonestardreams 04-10-2012 05:43 PM

Oh no! I think that it's the repetitive action that makes things like that happen. Maybe stretching and massage will help. I take aloe juice for my aches and pains. I can tell when I don't stay with it and start taking it again.

I should get back on glucosamine too. Hmm!

Good luck. I hope you are feeling better soon.

ging10ging 04-10-2012 05:52 PM

I've hand the shots a few times and then had to have the tendon release in my L hand and I just recently had the R hand done about 6 wks ago. You should rest your hand at least a wk before you start again and don't work for hours at a time that's what my hand Dr. told me to do each time. It takes a week for the shot to really work. My R hand is getting better but not as fast as the L hand it's better but a lot slower and I've had to do have PT on the hand and it's still stiff and I just can't seem to get it back to normal it's hard when you want to sew or crochet but patience is the virtue. Good Luck and rest it long enough. Sue

lfstamper 04-11-2012 03:41 AM

Great advice from all of you. I forgot to say the Dr. gave me these rings to sleep in (not diamonds of course...lol). They fit on my middle finger knuckle to keep me from clinching my hands at night. He said the tendons do better stretched out. Big difference even this am. Hands are stiff but not as sore and I can type much better! Still waiting a while to try sewing again.

Raggiemom 04-11-2012 04:09 AM

I hope the rest does your finger some good so you can resume sewing again soon.

Quiltngolfer 04-11-2012 04:53 AM

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I was having a lot of pain in my hands and fingers. I quilt & crochet a lot. Someone gave me an EFX silicone bracelet. I started wearing it and the pain and swelling in my thumb went away. A few weeks ago, wile keeping the grandkids, I took the bracelet off one day and forgot to put it back on. After the kids went home, I started having aching hands again. I didn't think of the bracelet, but my husband did. When he mentioned it, I put it back on, and by nightfall, no more aching. It really works for me. They are cheap at Amazon or EBay.

JT 04-11-2012 10:28 AM

I was having some tingling in my arms, beginning of carpal tunnel. Trigger finger is also part of carpal tunnel, I think. I've been wearing wrist braces when I sleep at night. The tingling is gone, and I'm sticking with it to avoid a surgery. Give it a try. I got my wrist braces at Walmart, for about $30 for both. They are a black "Mueller" brand. They work!!