Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too Tacky for a Quilt Show?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-tacky-quilt-show-t107776.html)

DeeBooper 03-16-2011 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by redturtle
ok...im new and ive never YET been to a quilt show...
however...
isnt it the front of the quilts that people go to see anyway? thats all i would ooo and ahh over lol

When I go to a quilt show I really enjoy the top but I definitely want to see the actual quilting also. I don't think a quilt is done until it is quilted and has a label (I have so many labels to get on).

Drew 03-16-2011 04:37 AM

At my guild's Quilt Show, it is finished quilts only. Some of the quilting on the quilts are beautiful! I think I would be disappointed to see tops only. It isn't finished until the binding in on. 3 years for a LA??? I would have brought it home before now and would have had it finished. It sounds as though your LA is not serious about her business.

Hinterland 03-16-2011 05:01 AM

I would enjoy seeing the unfinished tops, particularly if it makes it easier to see how you constructed the quilt.

Janet

#1piecemaker 03-16-2011 05:01 AM

I agree with some of the rest that you need to find another quilter. three years is a little much. Even for the best of them. I'd be getting my quilt back. And, as far as the show, the only ones I've ever been to, display finished quilts. But, I'd kinda like to see them myself, so why don't you give us a show here and let us decide?

Crickett Sweet 03-16-2011 05:15 AM

I would agree about completed quilts, however, having been the featured quilter at our last show, I totally understand the pressure and do't feel it would be tacky at all. My only advice is something I forgot and wished I had done and that was to have a book or register for people to sign and leave their comments. After a few weeks, you forget who stopped by and what nice things they said. It would be great to have a lasting memento of that weekend.

kaykwilts 03-16-2011 05:43 AM

"Three years!?!?! Even I could get one done in that length of time. Either she is very good or you are very patient." KwiltyKahy

Well, that confirms my suspicions...there really is a market out there for another LongArm-er!!!

applique 03-16-2011 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Crickett Sweet
I would agree about completed quilts, however, having been the featured quilter at our last show, I totally understand the pressure and do't feel it would be tacky at all. My only advice is something I forgot and wished I had done and that was to have a book or register for people to sign and leave their comments. After a few weeks, you forget who stopped by and what nice things they said. It would be great to have a lasting memento of that weekend.

Great idea, thanks!

echobluff 03-16-2011 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by redturtle
ok...im new and ive never YET been to a quilt show...
however...
isnt it the front of the quilts that people go to see anyway? thats all i would ooo and ahh over lol

You'd be surprised...at all of the quilt shows I've ever gone to, they offer latex gloves so that you can touch the quilts, turn them over, etc. and if you touch a quilt without a glove on and you're caught...let's just say, it's not pleasant! I'm not speaking from personal experience, I've witnessed it and it embarrassed me just hearing the chewing out the person got...
:oops: :oops: :oops:

applique 03-16-2011 07:00 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I agree with some of the rest that you need to find another quilter. three years is a little much. Even for the best of them. I'd be getting my quilt back. And, as far as the show, the only ones I've ever been to, display finished quilts. But, I'd kinda like to see them myself, so why don't you give us a show here and let us decide?

The show is the weekend of April 1st. I'll take pictures while they are hanging at the show. My avatar is not yet quilted and my moose needs to have the borders finished,

This top is now together but not quilted
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170455[/ATTACH]

Theresa 03-16-2011 07:03 AM

Your quilt tops are beautiful! Please keep us posted as to what you do!