Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Too warm to give quilt?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/too-warm-give-quilt-t129395.html)

tweezy50 06-10-2011 06:22 AM

I need to know.....because of a situation that I won't go into now, we have "inherited" a new family branch. ?there is a 3 year old little girl and a 5 year old boy. The family has very little as far as posessions. The parents are hard workers. It's just that luck has not been their friend lately. I am making the children eachtheir own little quilt and possibly a pillow case to match.

Problem is, the weather here will be hitting 90-100 degrees soon. Probably won't be much of a need for quilts to stay warm! (Duh). Would it be silly to give them to the children now or should I wait until cooler weather? Don't want to look like I'm just a silly ol' grandma, but would like to help them out.

Guess after all this, my question is.....is there a quilt giving season?

Prissnboot 06-10-2011 06:24 AM

NEVER!!! Quilts are great for indoor air conditioning - I live in Houston and slept beneath two comforters last night, and the a/c was only set on 77, with the ceiling fan going. I grew up sleeping beneath multiple blankets so it's a comfort thing for me, and perhaps will comfort the children as well.

Get stitchin, girlfriend!

Jennifer22206 06-10-2011 06:24 AM

Honestly, I think quilts are great to give all year round. They can sleep on top of it in the heat, or make a "fort" out of it. You never know, it might wind up being one of their favorite comfys.

Mamaskeeto 06-10-2011 06:25 AM

Quilts aren't just for keeping warm, they can be spread out on the floor for playing with dolls and action figures, the can become a tent when draped over furniture. I'd give them the quilts no matter what the weather is.

DebraK 06-10-2011 06:26 AM

A quilt is more than just a blanket. It's personal. I think they would love your welcoming gesture.

hmay60 06-10-2011 06:29 AM

I just gave a quilt for a wedding gift. It's been in the 90's all week. They can use it next winter. But, I use one on my bed all year around.

purplemem 06-10-2011 06:42 AM

Think of how comforting it is to lay on a coool quilt on the floor, a pallet of sorts. Go for it!

moonwork42029 06-10-2011 06:59 AM

Agree with all of the above :)

GrannieAnnie 06-10-2011 07:16 AM

It's not the temp that counts, it's the thought behind it.

Originally Posted by tweezy50
I need to know.....because of a situation that I won't go into now, we have "inherited" a new family branch. ?there is a 3 year old little girl and a 5 year old boy. The family has very little as far as posessions. The parents are hard workers. It's just that luck has not been their friend lately. I am making the children eachtheir own little quilt and possibly a pillow case to match.

Problem is, the weather here will be hitting 90-100 degrees soon. Probably won't be much of a need for quilts to stay warm! (Duh). Would it be silly to give them to the children now or should I wait until cooler weather? Don't want to look like I'm just a silly ol' grandma, but would like to help them out.

Guess after all this, my question is.....is there a quilt giving season?

irishrose 06-10-2011 07:27 AM

I can't sleep without a covering, even for a nap. A soft quilt is perfect no matter what the weather.