Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Took the plunge!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/took-plunge-t218373.html)

Milli 04-08-2013 07:28 PM

I took the plunge Sunday it works great
Basted the ful quilt, but not the borders, never thought of that, but will be considering it next quilt.

maviskw 04-08-2013 08:53 PM

I needed more School Glue, so I went looking at Walmart last Thursday. I found the bottle for 34 cents, and Elmer's glue was about 74 cents. Then I looked more closely at the bottles. The 34 cent bottle was made in China; Elmer's glue is made in the USA. Which would you choose? ? ? ?

quiltin-nannie 04-08-2013 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 5988008)
I needed more School Glue, so I went looking at Walmart last Thursday. I found the bottle for 34 cents, and Elmer's glue was about 74 cents. Then I looked more closely at the bottles. The 34 cent bottle was made in China; Elmer's glue is made in the USA. Which would you choose? ? ? ?

USA of course! Every little bit helps!

chuckbere15 04-08-2013 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie (Post 5981300)
Picked up a bottle of Elmers School Glue last week. It sat on my desk staring at me so I finally got brave, took my quilt that still needed borders off the design wall and glued the first border on. NEVER, EVER, will I pin a border again. Oh my gosh, it was so nice to sew a border on and not get stuck with a pin in the process! Thanks to everyone for posting about the glue!! :thumbup:

wait to you try it sewing binding on. I got brave a month a go and glue basted a quilt. Other than an extra big spot of glue, the machine just had to work a little harder, it worked great! The next quilt I glue baste I will dilute the glue. That reminds me, I need another bottle.

MissBarbQuilts 04-08-2013 10:51 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but enjoy hearing about the experiences of others. Maybe I will try this on my next quilt.

Jackie R 04-09-2013 06:04 PM

I used Elmers School Glue recently on a small wall hanging and loved it. It held nicely while I did some basic quilting (I don't do fancy, yet) and it worked out quite well. I'll use it again because I don't like pinning and the fumes from the sprays are nasty.

sewingsuz 04-09-2013 06:27 PM

Do you water the glue down? What kind of a bottle do you put this in to apply? Thanks for the help.

meldmac 04-09-2013 08:36 PM

I have been using Elmer's glue so far, does anyone know if the glue you can get at the doller store is just as good?

Maggiem 04-09-2013 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by meldmac (Post 5990184)
I have been using Elmer's glue so far, does anyone know if the glue you can get at the doller store is just as good?

At the risk of repeating myself, just make sure whatever glue you use is WASHABLE and you'll be fine. If in doubt, do a sample and make sure it washes out. Also, as the old ad used to say, "A little dab'll do you."

SueSew 04-10-2013 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie (Post 5988034)
USA of course! Every little bit helps!

I would choose the SCHOOL glue which is washable. The other glue is NOT. Elmer can make that in the US if he wasn't too cheap to pay a living wage.