Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tools/gadgets..what is your experience with these? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tools-gadgets-what-your-experience-these-t252877.html)

ranger 09-01-2014 09:43 AM

Tools/gadgets..what is your experience with these?

I recently received my first Keepsake Quilting catalog.
OMG...I want almost every tool and gadget!
I want the Supreme Slider, the Sew Steady Quilter's Wish Table, Quilter's Polly-Paper, Wrappable Light, Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Pins, Porta-Trace Light Box, Goddess Sheet (to protect surfaces from fusibles), Thangles, Mighty Bright Sewing Machine Light and on and on! LOL!
I feel like I did when I was a kid with the new Sears Christmas catalog!

Since I am not rich, I have to pick and choose.
So what should I have?
What's your experience with Supreme Slider?
Is the Polly Paper the same thing as freezer paper?
Does the Sew-Steady Table work well? It is $120 and I have to pay extra for shipping to Canada.
Which Thangles size would be best.?..I am thinking 2.5" but I also use 3.5" HSTs.
Are the wrappable light and the machine light a necessity?
Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Thanks.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Prism99 09-01-2014 10:14 AM

I had to look up Goddess Sheet on Amazon to see what it is. I iron freezer paper to my ironing board to protect the cover when I am fusing, and I use parchment paper underneath and on top of fusibles while ironing to protect the iron and the ironing board. Both freezer paper and parchment paper are inexpensive, last a long time, and I can cut them to whatever size I need. Can't see the advantage to using a Goddess Sheet.

Will be interested to see if anyone has used Polly Paper for applique. I have used freezer paper for years. Freezer paper doesn't leave a residue that I have been able to detect. For $9.99, I could buy an awful lot of freezer paper.

Some people like the Supreme Slider, some don't.

In my opinion, the Sew Steady table is tremendously over-priced even without shipping. Creating your own table a la the Youtube videos on how to do this with styrofoam (I can post links later, if you like) would be both much less expensive and better for quilting.

I have a lot of Thangles. I do like them for creating triangles, but now that I have an Accuquilt Go! it's less work to make triangles that way. I would use Thangles now only for complex patterns that require exquisitely perfect piecing -- not something I often do.

Not sure about the lights. I have been able to light my sewing areas without any specialty lighting.

To be honest, I have gotten past buying a lot of stuff from catalogs. I have drawers full of gadjets and specialty items that I never use.

calla 09-01-2014 10:15 AM

IMO any and all sizes Karen Buckley scissors are a must they grip the fabric. Calla

Pennyhal 09-01-2014 10:18 AM

Gosh, I don't have any of those things. Maybe I should go shopping too!

I have never heard of Polly Paper. Maybe someone can explain.

Onebyone 09-01-2014 10:40 AM

I love the Crayola Tracing Light pad. About $20. It's lightweight, uses batteries and has bright LED lights.

http://www.crayola.com/products/ligh...-girl-product/

I have the wrap light but it gets in my way when fmq on my machine. Never tried the Polly paper so will have to check that out. K Buckley scissors are excellent.

gale 09-01-2014 10:44 AM

There are printable "thangles" on the internet.

I have the slider but since I don't FMQ I haven't really used it.

I have a light box but never use it. Usually my kids are using it.

I had a fusible sheet like the Goddess sheet and used it for placing my applique shapes before fusing it to my project. I use seam a seam now though, which is sticky and does the same thing. It is still handy for protecting my iron from fusibles but I usually can't find it and use parchment paper instead.

My machine is inset into my table w/ an insert so I have never tried the sew steady table. I used to want one when I had to keep my machine on top of a desk though.

I've heard nothing but good things about the mighty bright light. I opted for the LED lights instead and am happy with them, but they aren't aimable.

I am off to look at the Karen Buckley stuff...

ManiacQuilter2 09-01-2014 10:45 AM

You might try shopping on eBay. Sometimes you can get some of the things you need on sale rather than paying full price. I would always buy Thangles during a sale. Buy what you need and give hints at Xmas what you want. Maybe Santa will help you with your wants.

GagaSmith 09-01-2014 10:58 AM

I really like my Supreme Slider for fmq. I got it on ebay for less.

snipforfun 09-01-2014 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ranger (Post 6869584)
I recently received my first Keepsake Quilting catalog.
OMG...I want almost every tool and gadget!
I want the Supreme Slider, the Sew Steady Quilter's Wish Table, Quilter's Polly-Paper, Wrappable Light, Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Pins, Porta-Trace Light Box, Goddess Sheet (to protect surfaces from fusibles), Thangles, Mighty Bright Sewing Machine Light and on and on! LOL!
I feel like I did when I was a kid with the new Sears Christmas catalog!

Since I am not rich, I have to pick and choose.
So what should I have?
What's your experience with Supreme Slider?
Is the Polly Paper the same thing as freezer paper?
Does the Sew-Steady Table work well? It is $120 and I have to pay extra for shipping to Canada.
Which Thangles size would be best.?..I am thinking 2.5" but I also use 3.5" HSTs.
Are the wrappable light and the machine light a necessity?
Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Thanks.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Many of the things you mentioned can be bought at Joanns with coupons. Try Allbrands.com for the Sew Steady table.
I use a cheap piece of canvas or muslin on top of my ironing board when using fusibles. Parchment works good too. I actually have a silicone pressing mat which is great. Fons and Porter has one they sell. Amazon has several and better prices.

roguequilter 09-01-2014 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by calla (Post 6869636)
IMO any and all sizes Karen Buckley scissors are a must they grip the fabric. Calla

agreed. couldn't believe i actually went and bought a couple duplicates of the smaller sizes. i need them anywhere i might sit and stitch! and the mighty bright. expensive but a must have ..so i buy them on sale anywhere i see them on sale. i have one for my fw, my janome 1600 & my pfaff...the main machine i use. i attach w command strips hook & loop in such away it's moveable but stable & out of the way. i have even bought the buckley scissors & mighty bright light as gifts for friends ...who love them and find them as indespensible as i do. i have the super slider. it works well. but i wouldn't buy again. awkward and time consuming to set up for quilting.