Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Totally bummed out (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/totally-bummed-out-t172043.html)

PolkaBabe 12-14-2011 04:18 PM

I love my Bernina 1008, my first Bernina was back in 1968, it was a 730. I litterly wore it out. It never needed much servicing. It outlasted it's garantee. Even my serger is by Bernina, that too I can't live without.

Sheila_H 12-14-2011 04:39 PM

I vote for a Bernina as well I got mine a few months back and absolutely love it, I think they've got a promotion on too where you get a box of FQ's with a purchase I don't know if it's only one type or not. I'd definitely test drive a couple of different machines though I did at the Quilt show in VT this past summer. Good luck on your hunt for the new machine let us know which one you get.

Prism99 12-14-2011 04:44 PM

What is your price range? That makes a huge difference in terms of which machines I would suggest trying out. I love my Bernina 1230, but new Bernina's are out of the price range of most people.

On a different note, must say I am way past that "permission" thing.

Tartan 12-14-2011 05:25 PM

My sympathy on your favourite machine feeling ill. It always happen in the middle of a big project or when you have a deadline. I personally love my Bernina 440 QE but there lots of good machines to choose from. Make yourself a list of features you really want for January and shop around untill you get most of your "must have" features. Some of mine were: needle down button for applique, good buttonhole stitch, nice amount of other stitches, walking foot, BSR for FMQ, good lighting (halogen perferred), solid construction (all metal parts), good warranty and LQS support...

mamaw 12-14-2011 05:35 PM

If you want reasonable prices....Kenmore machines are good machines; but Janomes are even better. I love mine and recommend the 7700 for throat space which is 11" and FMQ ability. I just took a free motion class and didn't even have to adjust the stitches...perfect both front and back. It was amazing!!

valleyquiltermo 12-14-2011 05:36 PM

Well I love my Bernina, and she embroideries. But she was priced high for sure. I've had her for 9 years.

QandE2010 12-14-2011 05:45 PM

I have the new Bernina 830. I love everything about her. But especially the large harp size. Good luck.

EmbQuilt 12-14-2011 07:20 PM

I feel your pain. My baby went to the doctor today. She was being really bad and forcing me to say things to her that surely put me on the naughty list!! My dealer, after some prodding, let me borrow a machine.

anniec55 12-14-2011 07:40 PM

I LOVE my Janome 6600, it is truly a dream machine!!! Just quilted a denim quilt on a Pennywinkle frame, and then took it off the frame to attach binding and finish 30 more table mats or mini table runners!!! I love her!!! have made two LARGE bean Bag chairs in the last month out of a heavy canvas camo material and did french seams never missed a lick!!! or sounds stressed (unlike the machines operator!!)

Katia 12-14-2011 08:08 PM

I think, if I was you I would be looking at Craigslist and getting a cheap back up machine. I have found some great machines there for crazy cheap prices. Just something to get you through.