Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Totally Shocking new Quilt book !! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/totally-shocking-new-quilt-book-t232506.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 10-15-2013 06:57 AM

Totally Shocking new Quilt book !!

I recently purchased a new quilt book that had many patterns that I just loved. I kept looking at this book and knew something was different about the quilts, but could not figure it out. Finally on the second day of looking, I realized what it was: the quilts were all tied !!! Not one of the quilts in the book were quilted by machine or by hand. And I loved every single one of the quilts. They look soft and airy and so comfortable. I am on vacation now so I can't tell you the name of the book as it's at home. The book was written by two English women. I usually am very observant but my DH was in and out of the hospital and I was trying to finish my Christmas quilts etc, I think that is why I never noticed they were tied. I am definitely going to tie my next quilt, no doubt about it and use the lightest fluffiest batting I can.

mom-6 10-15-2013 07:19 AM

Sounds lovely! I think certain quilts are just meant to be tied. And I also love the fluffy ones. To me they are more comforting and not as heavy.

pocoellie 10-15-2013 07:24 AM

I've made many tied quilts, although the "quilt police" say that if a quilt is tied, it's not a quilt, that is NOT my thought. If you want to tie your quilts, then go for it, it's whatever works for you.

QuiltNama 10-15-2013 07:29 AM

My first 15 to 20 years of quilting, all my quilts were tied. Was not into hand quilting as it took me forever. Now I have a LA but still go to a Wed. group that all we do is tie with yarn or pearl cotton, we use a thicker batt and every quilt is soft and cuddlesome for sure. Tie quilts still hold a special place in my heart.

DOTTYMO 10-15-2013 07:53 AM

Is it quilting modern by Jacques...?And Katie pederson.?

Butterfli19 10-15-2013 08:29 AM

What timing for this! I'm working on a (Joann's) puppy panel for gs and the fabrics are all different and off grain so I decided to tie it but it wasn't working so I'm sort of quilting it using hand basting stitches and it's coming out cute! I've realized that I prefer the quilting to enhance the fabric because, well, I don't want to hide the prettiness of it, lol.

Please list the title when you can. I'd love to check it out!

Kitsie 10-15-2013 08:47 AM

I've just tied one and its my very favorite one. Washed many times over.

tessagin 10-15-2013 08:55 AM

Pocoellie, A quilt is 2-3 pieces of material sandwiched together to make a covering. Doesn't matter how it is attached. If the "quilt police" come to your house, show them the door and instruct them to not make an imprint on the door while exiting! The first quilt I ever slept under was tied. Most and bestest night sleep I ever had. And yes I told my grandmother it was the "bestest" sleep I had.

chamby 10-15-2013 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie (Post 6350208)
I've made many tied quilts, although the "quilt police" say that if a quilt is tied, it's not a quilt, that is NOT my thought. If you want to tie your quilts, then go for it, it's whatever works for you.

Then the "quilt police" have not read their history correctly or grew up quilting.

Whoopie 10-15-2013 09:33 AM

In the "old days" they didn't use sheets on their beds. They made blanket covers out of old clothes and tied them so they could take them apart in the spring to wash them then re assemble. See tying is NOT anything new.