Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tote handle attachment help please...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tote-handle-attachment-help-please-t183253.html)

gingerd 03-18-2012 01:43 PM

Tote handle attachment help please......

Oh my this pattern......

I've decided that I'm placing the handles about 1" down from the top of the tote. NOW......here is what the directions say: "Position the raw edges of the handles with the raw edges of the bag back/front. Aligning the outside edges of the handles with the outside edge of the pocket. Sew these in place using a 1/8" seam."

Ok--don't worry about the 1/8' as I'm sewing them an inch down.

I don't want the stitches of the attached handle to show on the front/back of the tote. Is there any reason why I can't attach the handles to the lining of the tote?

Thanks ladies.......

CoyoteQuilts 03-18-2012 02:43 PM

I sew mine down like your directions, but then flip them up and do a top stitch 1/8-1/4 inch from the fold. This covers the raw edges and keeps the handles up instead of down...

But to answer your question, it's your bag attach them any way you want.

gingerd 03-18-2012 02:53 PM

Ohhhhh.......sewing them that way would explain why on the diagram the handle is upside down. Ok, now I have to think this out.

Could I do the above, but attached to the lining? My thought is that it wouldn't make a difference as the lining/front and the lining/back will get sewn together so why does it matter.........OR does it?

I'm trying to avoid having the stitching show on the front/back of the tote.

Thanks much!

pattypurple 03-18-2012 03:37 PM

Your only problem stitching the handles to the lining might be the strength of the lining fabric. Have you considered putting the handles in the top seam between the outer layer and the lining? That is the way I usually do mine.

grandma7 03-18-2012 06:05 PM

Yes, pattypurple, that is the way I do mine, too. I think they are much stronger that way. I, too, would be concerned about stability and strength of sewing them only to the lining.

barny 03-18-2012 06:12 PM

If you did this your way, the handles are going to pull pretty hard on the lining.

gingerd 03-19-2012 01:57 AM

Ok, let me try to explain this better........I'm making the Quilt Camp Tote.

The fabric for both the lining and the outside of the tote is Moda, the lining is Pellon. I put pockets on both the outside (2 pieces) and the lining (2 pieces) when I have 4 pieces separate. After pockets, then I'm suppose to attach the handles to the front/back of the tote. The handles get attached inside.

Then the outside (front/back) gets sewn together, then the inside lining (front/back) gets sewn together. It is at this point I then insert the inside lining into the outside and sew the to parts into a tote. Then I have a tote!

I hope this makes sense to you guys.......the photo on the pattern is a black/white tote and I can't see any quilting on it nor any stitches from the handles being attached. I've googled and haven't come up with much to look at as to see what others have done.

Thanks again for your help!