Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tote handles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tote-handles-t183196.html)

gingerd 03-18-2012 04:55 AM

Tote handles?

How far down onto the tote fabric do you attach handles? The pattern I'm working on says to go down 1/8 of an inch onto the body of the tote. To me that doesn't feel far enough.

Thoughts please....

Thanks

PaperPrincess 03-18-2012 05:23 AM

My thought is that the farther down on the tote you attach the handle, thus stitching it down more, the stronger the connection. Having said this, I have many bag patterns where the handle is just caught between the lining and outside fabric. The pattern will say to double stitch this section, or do the 1/8" as yours states. I always make them go farther into the bag so I have more stitching area. I think this is one area to err on the side of sturdiness. Assume that the recipient is going to put rocks in it (well maybe fill it with books).

BMP 03-18-2012 05:25 AM

I always go 3/4 to 1 inch....

gingerd 03-18-2012 05:45 AM

My thoughts exactly! I don't understand the 1/8 inch down at all. It didn't make sense to me.

Thanks ladies! At some point this tote will be done.

SWEETPEACHES 03-18-2012 05:54 AM

I also go down 1/2 to 1". I go across it back and forth 3 times, not including the final stitching all the way around the bag.

hperttula123 03-18-2012 06:44 AM

I always add more. 1/2 to an inch and go over it a few times. You never know what all is going to be in the purse and you want it to be sturdy.

alwayslearning 03-18-2012 08:05 AM

These responses sound like people with real world experience know when to alter a pattern! I feel I am in good company!

ckcowl 03-18-2012 08:16 AM

it depends on the pattern- how they are actually attached- i make tote bags that the handles are about 1/4" on the top (outside) stitched in place- then they are stitched again with the lining attachment- then stitched again when the top edge is top-stitched- i have a couple of these tote bags that are 8 or 9 years old- i've never had a handle rip or come loose- and i've been known to really stuff a tote bag!

gingerd 03-18-2012 10:09 AM

I have to attach the handles inside between the front/lining and back/lining. Then there is a top stitch that is done after the tote is finished. I'm working on quilting the pieces now. The next is to attach the handles.

I'm making progress, but honestly didn't think it would take this long!

Thanks ladies-

GrannieAnnie 03-18-2012 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by gingerd (Post 5069750)
How far down onto the tote fabric do you attach handles? The pattern I'm working on says to go down 1/8 of an inch onto the body of the tote. To me that doesn't feel far enough.

Thoughts please....

Thanks

1/8"??????????????? Whoever wrote that pattern must have been drinking.

I attach mine with a sewn X inside a square----------about an inch.