Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   TOWA Adjustment -- need help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/towa-adjustment-need-help-t96072.html)

AudreyB 02-02-2011 06:50 AM

I purchased a TOWA (bobbin case tension gauge) last year and am trying to figure out how to use it. I am trying to set the tension on my longarm (Tin Lizzie). Oh, if it matters, I have the TOWA TM-3 model.

I was able to get the bobbin in correctly, but I don't know what the tension strength should be. It's currently at 200. Is it too tight? too loose? just right?

CoyoteQuilts 02-02-2011 06:56 AM

Everything I have read says to get your tension right THEN use the TOWA to find your magic number and adjust the rest of your bobbins to that number.

Are you having problems with your tension? If you are getting loopies on the botton, it's your top thread. On the top loopies it is your bobbin (usually). I try to just play with top thread mostly..... Also some of these machines (mid/long arms that is) have a tendency to loose tension at the end of bobbins, so always start with a full bobbin.

Good luck!

AudreyB 02-02-2011 07:06 AM

Okay. Makes sense. I heard to get the bobbin tension correct first, then adjust the top tension. That's what I'm trying to do, but I'm unsure about what I'm doing.

I have the bobbin thread tense enough that when holding the thread holds unless I gently bounce it. Does that sound right?

Shelley 02-02-2011 07:21 AM

When the bobbin is in the Towa, it shouldn't bounce - that's a sign of a warped bobbin. For my A1, I like them around 180 to 200. Start there, then adjust your top tension to work with that.

Superior Threads has now added a top thread tester. They also have a chart for each type of machine and what the settings should be for top and bottom threads. You might want to check there.

HTH!!!

KathyAire 02-02-2011 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Shelley
Superior Threads has now added a top thread tester. They also have a chart for each type of machine and what the settings should be for top and bottom threads. You might want to check there.

HTH!!!

I just saw that about the top tension gauge. I hope that you buy if first so you can tell me about it.

CoyoteQuilts 02-02-2011 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyB
Okay. Makes sense. I heard to get the bobbin tension correct first, then adjust the top tension. That's what I'm trying to do, but I'm unsure about what I'm doing.

I have the bobbin thread tense enough that when holding the thread holds unless I gently bounce it. Does that sound right?

Mine is a 'Stretch' machine and mine has to just gently slide down when I hold the bobbin in the air with the thread...... Mine is weird, but that is a good starting point to play..... If after you try adjusting the top thread to this and you still have problems then move your bobbin screw by a little bit--I did the 5 minute turn--pretend the screw is the center of a clock and turn it just '5 minutes' one way or the other. I also have the top tension tester--works good when you actually get the thread to stay around the post. My top thread needs to be between 200-250 on that gauge. Just make sure you go by the directions because if you don't you will get false readings.

Tension setting is very tedious....

cookiej36 02-02-2011 03:48 PM

Check out these videos on tension guages from Superior Threads! Hope it help!

http://www.superiorthreads.com/videos/tension-gauge/

Shelley 02-02-2011 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire

HTH!!!

I just saw that about the top tension gauge. I hope that you buy if first so you can tell me about it.

Already ordered.... ;) I'll let you know.

sewwhat85 02-03-2011 05:43 PM

all so interesting

AudreyB 02-03-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire

HTH!!!

Already ordered.... ;) I'll let you know.

Yes, let us know how it works. I have the Tin Lizzie, and that isn't one they have the tension settings for. I'm curious to know how you like it.