Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Towa gauge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/towa-gauge-t274497.html)

btiny36 01-14-2016 09:16 AM

Towa gauge

I've researched this and have now purchased one which is still coming in the mail, but is there a fast and hard rule to follow here....Let me explain, is there a setting to follow on the gauge like between 200 - 220 I've looked and there isn't much out there for info except Superior Threads, but what if you aren't using Superior Threads. Is there a number to follow regarding polyester thread to cotton thread....sure hope I've explained what I'm actually asking lol....
Thanks in advance for any help in this matter......
also, which way should the bottom be spinning in the towa gauge ie clockwise or counter clockwise....
and since I have the M size bobbin do I wrap the thread around the pigtail?

ckcowl 01-14-2016 09:25 AM

You go by thread weight, brand doesn't matter ( Superior Thread is a brand, they offer many, many threads/ weights)

btiny36 01-14-2016 09:56 AM

I forgot to mention I'm asking these questions as a Longarm quilter...sorry

feline fanatic 01-14-2016 10:06 AM

The Towa comes with instructions. I rarely use mine as I almost always opt for prewound magnaglide bobbins. You can't use the towa with those. I would use the Superior guidelines and simply match the ply and weight of the Superior product to yours. For example, Glide thread and Superior's Fantastico would be the same setting on the Towa. They are both 40wt trilobal polyesters. No hard fast rules that I am aware of.

Tartan 01-14-2016 10:16 AM

I think there was information on setting bobbin tension on YouTube from the Jamie Wallen from www.quiltersapothecary.com

coffeecozy 01-15-2016 05:47 AM

I got the towa guage when I had played around with the tension on my bobbin winder and really messed myself up. Like feline fanatic said there was a superior threads chart in the package (and diagrams on how to use it) and as I add other threads to the chart I will use it as a check point for the next time things go all upside down on me. I don't think you will use it always but it sure won't hurt to have when things go wrong.

Macybaby 01-15-2016 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by coffeecozy (Post 7434442)
I got the towa guage when I had played around with the tension on my bobbin winder and really messed myself up.

I did the same thing, messed around with the tension on my winder, and ended up with all sorts of problems. I was ready to buy the towa gauge in desperation. I had no problems with my mid-arm, but had been using my domestic machine to wind the bobbins as that one took class 15. When I got the 24" Fusion, it came with a a winder and it was my first time using one.

Since I've got my bobbin winder set correctly, I've not had the problems setting the bobbin tension by hand.

tessagin 01-15-2016 08:01 AM

Never heard of a Towa gauge but I don't have long arm.

NanaMontana 01-15-2016 10:49 AM

I just did the same thing(purchased the TOWA) but haven't tried it yet. I have an HQ 16 and am a hobbyist,not a pro so I don't do a large volume of quilting. The most difficult part of quilting seems to be getting the tension just right so I'm thinking this will be helpful. Also it was mentioned in a longarm book "Free-Motion Quilting" by Angela Walters as a tool that she really likes. It seemed to work well with my class M bobbin/case and the tutorial on Superior Threads website was very helpful. I use a lot of Aurifil thread though and was also wondering how useful the guide for Superior Thread would be . I am anxious now to try it all out. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there with the same questions. Good luck!

Grammahunt 04-15-2017 07:45 AM

NanaMontana, Did you get your TOWA and did it help you? I'm in the same boat.